Cord Wood/Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out and recommend a good source of cord wood in the Central Massachusetts area? I haven't been too happy with my wood guy the last couple of years, splits have been getting bigger and bigger, mixed green wood and last year it looked like he pulled all the wood out of the mud and delivered it! I found a guy advertising at my local supermarket so I called and he gave me a price of $200.00 a cord, he also said he would call me in a week to setup delivery. That was last week, I called him again and he said he would call next Wednesday which was yesterday. I called and left him a message yesterday and still no call, I'm done with this guy!!

I've been searching Craigslist and they all range from $200. to $235. a cord but I'm leery of buying from someone I don't know. I got some wood a couple years ago towards the end of the winter because i ran out and the guy delivered small small splits and it was crap, luckily it was only 1/2 cord. So if anyone from my area could recommend an honest reliable source it would be greatly appreciated. I usually buy 4 cord a year, and I'm loyal so if it's good stuff I will always give my business to them. I need 16" lengths now with the new fireview I just bought.

I have had OK results with Daniel Hollister , He is located in Connecticut but is close to the Mass boarder so you maybe within his range.

He has cut custom cords of 100% Black Birch for me , with reasonable results. He even topped off a cord that turned out a little short after stackin with just one phone call. His prices last time I checked were lower then the one you mentioned too.

Reminder he who orders early gets better results. Good luck !

Hollister Firewood
12 Fairmount Lane Granby, CT 06035‎
Edit details
(860) 653-4950

You looking for green or seasoned?

I have had OK results with Daniel Hollister , He is located in Connecticut but is close to the Mass boarder so you maybe within his range.

He has cut custom cords of 100% Black Birch for me , with reasonable results. He even topped off a cord that turned out a little short after stackin with just one phone call. His prices last time I checked were lower then the one you mentioned too.

Reminder he who orders early gets better results. Good luck !

Hollister Firewood
12 Fairmount Lane Granby, CT 06035‎
Edit details
(860) 653-4950
Thanks for the reply Lakeside, that is over 70 miles from me so he would probably charge a delivery fee, if he would deliver to me at all.

You looking for green or seasoned?
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that in my original post, I'm looking for seasoned.

Why not buy green and season yourself? We bought 3 cords of "seasoned" from 3 different sellers last year in CT and only 1 was actually seasoned. The others had clearly split that day.

Why not buy green and season yourself? We bought 3 cords of "seasoned" from 3 different sellers last year in CT and only 1 was actually seasoned. The others had clearly split that day.
I need wood for this year's burning season. I have a cord or so left over from last year but they are various lengths ranging from 16"- 21". The fireview can take a 19" max.

"I need wood for this year's burning season"
Oops. This could be difficult, but I hope someone knows a supplier that can get you some dry wood.
Make sure to get next years wood now, too.

Where in CMass are you located, Im on the Ct border, I do know a couple of guys, I also know of a place that sells kiln dried NE of Worcester but Im not sure of the price. Most guys on CL advertising seasoned cut the tree or cut the tree into rounds and split it when you order it, not gonna be seasoned, you have to ask them when it was split.
My second year I got 4 cords of 3 year seasoned oak from someone that switched to pellets, Paid $315 for 4 cords but had to haul it myself, do you have a truck?

Where in CMass are you located, Im on the Ct border, I do know a couple of guys, I also know of a place that sells kiln dried NE of Worcester but Im not sure of the price. Most guys on CL advertising seasoned cut the tree or cut the tree into rounds and split it when you order it, not gonna be seasoned, you have to ask them when it was split.
My second year I got 4 cords of 3 year seasoned oak from someone that switched to pellets, Paid $315 for 4 cords but had to haul it myself, do you have a truck?

weather guy -
that's a great score for your second year!

i think that's the best way (although uncommon) to acquire TRULY seasoned wood - when someone is no longer burning wood or moving. its usually split and sitting for a while. i had a friend who was moving and she had a small stove in her cabin. her woodpile was cut to really short pieces and split and sat for 2 years, mostly covered. it worked out well for me cuz we've got a small firebox in my wife's studio. it was all red and chestnut oak, ash, pear, apple cherry and elm. plus it was free.:cool:

I'm located in Auburn, I was just about to place an order with a guy I found on CL but decided to do a quick google search and I found a lot of complaints about the guy! :(

Thanks for the reply Lakeside, that is over 70 miles from me so he would probably charge a delivery fee, if he would deliver to me at all.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that in my original post, I'm looking for seasoned.

The problem is, when you buy from wood dealers there is no difference unless you buy kiln dried. Just imagine what it would take for a dealer to store hundreds, or thousands of cords stacked in single rows to dry for 2 years! Think about it........

If you are buying wood and want it seasoned, the only realistic option is to find space to store 1-2 years on your property and buy it 1 year or more in advance. On the plus side, wood is dirt cheap in the spring.

I was just asking for someone to recommend a trustworthy person to buy some already seasoned wood from, I need wood to burn this season. I guess I should start buying wood a year before I need to burn it but that's not going to help me now. Thank you for all the replies.

We are not trying to make this hard for you- just being brutally honest. 99% of dealers who advertise seasoned will deliver you green. Its just the reality of the marketplace. Most buyers dont know what seasoned is, most sellers dont either - and even if they do there is no way they could actually make money selling it considering the work and time commitment involved. Its just the reality.

Be ready to struggle with wet wood, or else buy a small amount of kiln dried or eco-bricks to mix in.

Reactions: mfglickman
I am by no means an expert and am in my second year of serious burning, but I have read similar questions like yours before and it seems the best response to your problem might be this:
For this immediate buring season, consider asking a wood salesperson to deliver "seasoned" birch, cherry and maple now, avoiding oak and then split any larger cuts yourself and stack in the driest, windiest and sunniest location you can. Those above mentioned species will season faster, particularly if you cut them a bit smaller (4" and under diam.). Hope this helps. You may also want to order for next year now and have them truly seasoned for the '13-'14 winter.
-Jeff

Find some folks and swing buy and look at their "seasoned" wood. If you like the guy and his deal, offer to help load "your wood". That way you know he dont hoodoo you and give you a different pile.

This may not really be >20%MC but i think you will have to do with what you can get, even if its 30%MC oak?

Here is a thought see if you can find some softwood thats "seasoned" you will need to burn more for same btus as oak but it will probly have a lower MC?

I ordered a truck load of logs from Hull Forest Products in January of this year. Half of that wood is split and seasoning for 2013-2014. The other half will be split and stacked next year. Granted it won't do you any good this year, but if you were to buy a load now and process it, it should be decent for next year. I think they deliver to Northern CT/Southern Mass.

Check out www.hullforest.com. I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.