1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cordless electric chain saws

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Geoff, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Anyone ever use of of these? The ones I've seen use an 18v battery pack.
    I assume the battery dies pretty quickly.
    I already have a real saw, a Stihl 031AV. I'm just curious how effective the battery ones are.
    I'm guessing it might be good for someone who wants to cut where they won't make a huge racket...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    An 031AV is a real saw, but also a real old saw. I used to make a living with one of those about 25 years ago.

Given that (from what I've been told) electric chain saws are pretty marginal (at best) for serious firewood cutting, I doubt a wireless one would have enough umph to cut more than a few decent blocks before crapping out.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    If its anything like my milwalke cordless circular saw, it wont work that well. Im shure it would be perfect for light pruning.
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Homelite Ryobi are the same 18 volt cordless chain saws, great to prune a 1" branch or two but no way near heavy duty
  5. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    You guys should hang on to Stihls 220 volt, with a 24" bar, chisel skip tooth for 6 hours and your thoughts will change. This saw will not bind. It will suck you into the log. You will cut a whole lot more wood for the time spent. The chain will last longer but your back will feel like ? I believe 16lbs is the weight. It sounds very nice when it cuts. Just watch the cord. We have never had any problems with the two we owned. 1500 plus cords. I heard they built this model for the lumber yards.

Thomas
  6. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That sounds like a pretty good saw. If it has a 24-inch bar, does that mean it has about as much power as a conventional saw with a 24-inch bar? How many amps does it draw?
  7. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    I recall it was 25-30 amps. It was worm drive. I am going to check and see if they stihl sell them.
    Thomas
  8. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    I just checked their site. The largest electric they sell now will handle 20" bar, draws 15 amps 110 volts 1700 watts. Weighs 11lbs witout the bar and chain. They call it the MSE220. They have discontinued the 220 volt monster I was referring to, at least on their web site.
    Thomas
  9. MALogger

MALogger New Member

Loc:
    Foxboro, MA
    The only problem with electric chain saws because of how they operate is that your chaps or saw pants won't protect you. It says so right on the tags of the garments. But I guess if you don't wear such things it doesn't matter.

Warning for Electric Chain Saw Users:

The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque.

Taken from http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protect_chaps.html

Craig
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.