Cords of wood per season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize there are a lot of variables here when trying to put a number on cords burned per season. Lets say your average house in an average winter. Provided, that the stove burns the majority of the time with the availability of the baseboard/forced air as being available too.

Thanks

An average here is a tough guesstimate......so many variables. For my situation, in a well insulated 1000 sq ft ranch with the stove in our living room, we burn around 3 cord of hard wood per heating season (burning 24/7 when required).

jj3500 said:
I realize there are a lot of variables here when trying to put a number on cords burned per season. Lets say your average house in an average winter. Provided, that the stove burns the majority of the time with the availability of the baseboard/forced air as being available too.

Thanks

HA!

Average??? well, our average winter here is waaaaay different than the average winter in southern new england...

our average daily HIGH in feb is +10*. Low is -15*.

This has come up many times here and it seems most people burn 3-5 cords. Best thing to do is cut as much as you can to get ahead of the game. I currently have 10 cords which will last me 3 seasons. This also ensures you have good dry firewood every year.

Well, just to throw a few more variables into the equation, in an average season, in my two average steel woodstoves, I'll burn an average of 7 cords of average softwoods. Rick...just your average Joe.

fossil said:
Rick...just your average Joe.

Joe-sixpack?

Sorry.....couldn't resist referencing another post from the ash can. :cheese:

Oh no. By that standard, I'm well above average. %-P Rick

Adios Pantalones said:
Most here use between 3.5 and 5 cord.

Not to be a PITA, but the average high and low in Chateaugay, NY for February are 31 F and 8 F, respectively, according to:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcl...locid=USNY0252&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

In central Maine- it's 33F and 15F (Auburn, ME).

In my town, Londonderry, NH- it's 36F and 8F.

Well, they are full of it! lol. They also say the current temp is usually 5* HIGHER that it actually is, not taking into account for wind chill. We can usually expect at least 2 weeks a winter of solid below zero temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.