Cords of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbas Boys

Aug 31, 2014
Central Illinois
I know this has probably been asked a lot but..... How many cords of wood would you guess we will need? We are in Central Illinois, 2000 sq ft single story home with crawlspace. Built last year, 6inch walls 12 inches cellulose in attic, very open floor plan, stove pretty much in exact middle of home. Kitchen Queen 480 is stove. Last year in old 2 story farm house we kept furnace on 65, we don't like it hot. haha. Any advise or tips would be great. Thanks

So many variables??? Wood type, wood moisture content, 24/7 burning as primary heat source or is this supplemental heat? Temps and weather patterns? and many more. I will say it is common practice for 24/7 primary heat burners in the upper mid-west to have 5 cord of seasoned hard wood available for a winters heat. May you use a less or more?? yes - but this is a good place to start.

I have an older stove and burn about 3-4 cords per winter, although last year it was closer to 5. Newer stoves should burn less and since you have a newer house that should help even more. Are you buying or cutting your own? I would try to get at least 5 if possible, then what you don't burn can have extra drying time for next winter.

3 or 4 maybe, depends on how dry it is and what species of wood.

Would be easier if you were switching from another fuel to wood, but you can ask around and discover how much fuel similar homes used, then use the second table on the linked page to get a rough estimate.

Notes: Remember to factor in your stoves efficiency; if 75% then multiply the number of equivelent cords by 1.33, if 50% then double it! Also note in the first table the variation among different types of wood, and that's just a small sample!
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/alturas/woodheatcomparison.html

PS: if you are just starting to look for wood to use for this burning season, you may find it difficult or very expensive. I bought my first stove a month ago and then started looking for wood, was shocked to learn I was a year late! Almost everyone in my area is out of wood for this season, the only guy I know that still has a lot of dry wood wants $460 per cord :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Applesister
5 cords should be enough given your circumstances.

Let me reiterate the Hearth.com stance that too much is never enough. I've heard it said that for every piece of wood you THINK you need, you really need three- one burning, one drying, and one growing.

Let me reiterate the Hearth.com stance that too much is never enough. I've heard it said that for every piece of wood you THINK you need, you really need three- one burning, one drying, and one growing.

I like to have two drying.

Reactions: Lakeside
Overkill in this situation doesn't hurt. I'd go 6 cords. Like Red Oak said, if it's too much, you get a start on next year!

Will be interested to hear about you not liking hot after feeling the heat from the wood stove. Before wood heat, I said the same thing. coldest time in our house is about now through the time I start the first fire (usually mid/late Oct).... then its back to summer wear in the house.

I agree with bluedogz too much is never enough. Last year I heated my 1200 sf open floor plan relatively well insulated house with 1.5-2 cords of not too well seasoned wood, one skid of Eco bricks and 188 gallons of oil. I assume you get pretty much the same weather that we do here in ct so 4-5 cords would be the minimum. Shoot for 6 to be safe.

I have a bit more square footage than that and rarely burn five cords. You should be good to go and may have some left over for next year.

In the best of possible worlds, you want to be 3 years ahead. It just makes things easier if you have the space.

I walk around in my house all winter in shorts. I try to keep it around 75 degrees. If I'm not in shorts, I'm not happy!!!

Between 3 and 4 would be my guess. We live in the mountains of NC at 4,000 ft. elevation. Probably a similar winter to yours since you are farther north at a lower elevation. I used 3 1/2 cords to heat our similar style house last winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.