Corie hits the big time - and other news from HPBA - Vermont Change-out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
From our industry newsletter this month:

"Economic Help from the Heart was created by Villanova University graduate Corie Podschelne, who begins his new career as a research and development engineer with England's Stove Work's, Inc., Monroe, VA. The charity was formed to provide and install donated wood stoves in the homes of families in need. So far, with the help of retailers, manufacturers and a close-knit group of hearth.com forum friends, donated stoves and stove piping have been installed in two homes and two are in the pipeline. If you're interested in donating time or material, please contact Corie at [email protected]."

I guess everyone in the industry knows who Corie is now!
Go Hearth.com Forum! Now what are we gonna do as an Encore? Who are we going to send next year? I think perhaps Corie is one of a kind.

Also, you VT (and WA and Canada) residents might want to know about this:

"The U.S. EPA awarded $100,000 grants for wood stove changeout rebates in Rutland, VT and Spokane, WA.
And, north of the border, the Canadian Wood Stove Replacement Grant, a $300 rebate for wood stove replacements, has been included in a Canadian residential energy efficiency program known as EcoEnergy. Information about the VT changeout is posted at http://www.anr.state.vt.us/air/htm/woodstoverebate.htm and the Canadian project at www.ecoaction.gc.ca/ecoenergyecoenergie/index-eng.cfm "

Well I guess the cat is out of the bag! hahah

I didn't want to bring it up with too many people until it was set in stone; did you see this on the website or did you receive the newsletter?

I received the newsletter by email from HPBA.

As you may know, we spoke to the HPBA people at the show about the "story" and also have a Press Release in our PR section here (about Corie at the show).
We'll have to see what happens once you are buried in a job - if you can find the time and energy to continue onward.....

what brought about the VT changeout program? I'm on the wrong side of the river *%$#@! Wondering if we can encourage the same thing with our ever more environmentally aware government here in NH. And congratualtions Corrie, I'm relatively new here but I always find your posts informative and often entertaining. It's obvious you're making a truly positive impact.

Congrats, Corie.

Do you have a link to the article? I couldn't find it (although it was only a quick scan of the site)

I'm sure Corie deserves the recognition. Two questions, can someone post a link to the article or do a copy posting? And second is for Corie, when are you heading South? Inquiring minds want to snoop,.... know???

It's an internal emailed newsletter, but I don't suppose there is too much secret stuff in it......let's see if it fits here:
Corie in under the communications committee.

Wood Stove Changeout Grants Announced

The U.S. EPA awarded $100,000 grants for wood stove changeout rebates in Rutland, VT and Spokane, WA.
And, north of the border, the Canadian Wood Stove Replacement Grant, a $300 rebate for wood stove replacements, has been included in a Canadian residential energy efficiency program known as EcoEnergy. Information about the VT changeout is posted at http://www.anr.state.vt.us/air/htm/woodstoverebate.htm and the Canadian project at www.ecoaction.gc.ca/ecoenergyecoenergie/index-eng.cfm. For more information, contact John Crouch, [email protected].

HPBEF Offers Online Training

Hearth Online Training is an exciting new program offered by the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Education Foundation (HPBEF). The classes, presented by Rick Vlahos, are live, interactive, and conveniently taken from your office. Hearth 101, Gas Tech 101, and "Why My Wood Isn't Burning" are available.
Online training is simple enough for those with even the most basic computer skills. All that's needed is an Internet connection and speakers. High speed connection is preferable, but dial-up access is acceptable. Visit www.hpbef.org to learn more and register today.

Outdoor Decorative Appliance Agreement

The Outdoor Open-Flame Decorative Appliance (OOFDA) task force is moving closer to an agreement with CSA to create a standard for the appliances, such as gas fire pits, gas campfires, etc. Any manufacturer not already involved with the OOFDA group should contact Tom Stroud at [email protected].

Fireplace Task Group E.06.54.06

The Low-Mass Fireplace Task Group has published two ASTM Standards, ASTM E2558 and E2515. The group is now holding stakeholder meetings with U.S. EPA. For more information contact Tom Stroud, [email protected].

Massachusetts Plumbing Board Update

Following the advice of GAMA and NEHPBA, the Massachusetts Plumbing Board has agreed to remove the requirement for installation manuals to be supplied for every approved venting system with all direct-vent products. In its place, all products need to have installation manuals available online. This is a huge victory for GAMA and the hearth industry.

New HPBA Govt. Affairs Manager

The GA Dept. is pleased to announce the addition of Seth Voyles as the new government affairs manager. Seth comes to HPBA with many years of experience in the U.S. House, Senate and with a Colorado utility. He can be reached at [email protected].

PFI Annual Conference

PFI's popular Annual Conference will be held July 19-21 at the beautiful Pinehurst Resort in Pinehurst, NC. Program, registration, sponsorship and display forms are now available on the PFI website at www.pelletheat.org. Program highlights include fuel standards and how to best serve consumers, government relations issues, and an update on the European pellet market.

HPBA Committee Activities

Communications

* "May Is National Barbecue Month" sizzled this year across the country and around the world. News media from the Associated Press to The Washington Post and New York Times to the London Financial Times picked up our story and spread the good word on the joy of grilling.
* Share Your Grill Recipes – It's grilling season and we'd like to post your favorite recipe on the HPBA website. Whether it's a meat dish, a vegetable dish or dessert dish, we'd like to hear from you. And, give us your story. Was your recipe handed down, a self creation, or a group project? Grilling is all about eating and sharing good food, so contact Deidra Darsa, [email protected], with your scrumptious mealtime ideas.

* Economic Help from the Heart was created by Villanova University graduate Corie Podschelne, who begins his new career as a research and development engineer with England's Stove Work's, Inc., Monroe, VA. The charity was formed to provide and install donated wood stoves in the homes of families in need. So far, with the help of retailers, manufacturers and a close-knit group of hearth.com forum friends, donated stoves and stove piping have been installed in two homes and two are in the pipeline. If you're interested in donating time or material, please contact Corie at [email protected].

* Retailers: Help your customers understand the benefits of zone heating with gas appliances. Order our popular "Efficient Ways to Zone Heat Your Home," a brochure that explains gas fireplaces, stoves, inserts and log sets. Bulk orders are available (100 copies for $20) by contacting Denise McDonald, [email protected].

HPB Education Foundation/NFI

* Fireplace Installer Training System (FITS) - If you haven't brought FITS into your store, now is the time to do it. The first module, Gas Fireplaces Level I, will organize your internal training...BEFORE the busy season begins.
The FITS Installer Training Kit, required for each participant, consists of a Fundamentals Workbook, Installation Workbook and Field Checkbook. The FITS Company Support Package, needed to conduct the program, includes Training Leader Guides for Fundamentals and for Installation, a Training Leader Handbook, Company Startup Guide, PowerPoint/Support CD and Brand Specific Resources CD. For more information, call Caleb Woodard at 703-524-8030.
* Looking for the right place to take some classes or become NFI Certified? Visit www.nficertified.org to find out where. There are opportunities across the country to learn more and grow as a professional. If you have all three NFI certifications, you are eligible to be recognized as a Master Hearth Professional. For more information, contact Caleb Woodard at 703-5248030.

I was going to start a new thread, but I guess I'll just mention it here.

All of my things were packed into the Englander trailer this afternoon with help from someone from the company and his son. The apartment is pretty empty at this point!

We'll be throwing the last few things into the car tomorrow morning and then heading down to Virginia. My wonderful girlfriend is going to spend a few days down there with me, helping me get moved in and things like that.

I imagine the next time ya'll hear from me, I'll be in VA.

C'mon down!

Good luck, Corie. I'm really happy for you because it sounds like an exciting job and I know you'll put your heart and soul into it.

Please keep us updated if you find the time.

Personally I think this would make a great hearthblog, Corie's Great Adventure. It will give us a unique insight into the design of stoves, and also give us an idea of the initiation learning process. If Corrie can log on and see you pouring your heart into the blog, she won't wonder where you're spending your off hours :roll:

BrotherBart said:
C'mon down!

Nice new avatar, can you make it do something? Even on the resolution on my laptop it catches my eye.

UncleRich said:
Personally I think this would make a great hearthblog, Corie's Great Adventure. It will give us a unique insight into the design of stoves, and also give us an idea of the initiation learning process. If Corrie can log on and see you pouring your heart into the blog, she won't wonder where you're spending your off hours :roll:

Roger that, I will definitely do my absolute best to give everyone the inside scoop that goes into designing stoves!

UncleRich said:

we'll try to keep him outta trouble, i personally having not met corie (or corrie for that matter) i was out of town when he came to visit. so i guess we'll have to pop a cap or two tomorrow evening.

Webmaster said:
Pop a cap.....up here, that means you are going to shoot him!

(as in, "I'm gonna pop a cap in your ass".

Web, down thar' ye'r beer comes in cans and when ye' pop one, then ye' duck when the cooler's dry.

Welcome to Virginia!

Webmaster said:
Pop a cap.....up here, that means you are going to shoot him!

(as in, "I'm gonna pop a cap in your ass".

Agree. Pop a top is the way we said it in Texas. In fact there is a country song "Pop A Top, Again".

Of course the song line that describes me is George Strait's "Too many years and too many beers have just about washed me up."

Damn, Corie--be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.