Corie Visited Me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterbee

Sep 15, 2006
Hi, I decided to post this new instead of adding to my incredibly long thread about my Fisher stove, I am the one with all the questions and the installer who never came back. I was clueless....now I have learned a lot.

Corie came out this afternoon and he checked everything out, all is safe, and I learned a lot. I am using my thermometer and right now adjusting to get it a little cooler, down to 350 so doesn't get so hot in here. But I learned how he starts fires and for the best burn in my type of stove, and showed him I understood as he made me lay pieces of wood on the fire. He taught me how my wood stove burns (front to back) as is deep. I know how the wood should look burning, what sounds I may hear mean. I even can split my own kindling with a hatchet out of big pieces though I must say that is going to take some practice.

All the stone around my old fireplace is good protection and when heated up will be good radiant heat for me. I learned the mistakes I was making and a lot about how wood burns, the whole process and feel more confident now. The gasket is fine as is, so Corie did not have to replace it.

I learned a lot about fire and the draft and how this is going to burn once it gets colder. Which will be another learning process but I feel much better now, for someone to see my stove and show me in person.

I still can't believe the installer just had his guys install it he stops in saying he was going to gasket it and drop off a manual and then basically , not showing for his appointments and not telling me a single thing about this. And he knew I did not know a thing, I had never even seen these inserts before nor ever lit any kind of fire.

So thank you all again for helping me and caring. At least now I have a foundation of knowledge to build upon.

So thanks again Corie, and you all know you very well could be saving my life and at the very least my home. Which for me is everything, this place burns...I am homeless. Have no family, is just me.

So I will keep reading and learning here. Right now am burning at 350 degrees consistently (just checked) so as not to get too hot. I love the thermometer.

So here I am taking up more time but just wanted to let all those who helped me and gave advice (and it was ALOT of people) that Corie came to help.

He is a great person, if you met him you would know. I can tell how much he wants to help people. And you just don't see that these days.

So thanks again everyone for helping me, I will still be here reading and give a hello and update.

Karen

To Karen:

Glad you have peace of mind and heat now.

To Corie:

You da man!

nevermind.....saw your thread and answered my own question - good to have the help of folks in the forum!

I'm just glad I could help!! Here are the photos of the install, so you all know Karen and I aren't making this story up!!

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 427
  • Fire.jpg
    Fire.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 402
What was the pipe they put up that chimney Corie?

It was an 8 inch flex liner. Chimney is fully lined to the top and has the proper cap installed. Liner to stove connection is sealed with furnace cement. The temperature outside was around 55-60 degrees (we didn't check), but the stove still had pretty strong draft. I imagine when the temperature drops she'll have a pretty strong drafting setup.

It looks very good to me. And the large thermal masss of the fireplace (its huge) is a real asset to the setup imo. Once she gets the stone to temperature, it'll radiate warmth for hours after the fire has died.

Really, really neat cabin too. I certainly wouldn't mind living there! And two even "neater" dogs, although it took me all the time I was there to really get one of them to warm up to me.

Sounds like those guys did a lot better installation than it sounded like it might have been. Good on them!

Yeah, I was eyeing that stone fireplace longingly. Lotta mass. Those are some big rocks in that thing. That Fisher is gonna heat'em up real good.

Spike tough time here hearing That HUGGS WERE REQUIRED MORE THAN ONCE TODAY.

Corie you have done Hearth.com and our forum well and take pride in helping another THANKS

Great thread. Thanks for the update Karen. This is what the Hearth is all about.

elkimmeg said:
Spike tough time here hearing That HUGGS WERE REQUIRED MORE THAN ONCE TODAY.

Corie you have done Hearth.com and our forum well and take pride in helping another THANKS
Oops , I guess this did end up as a group HUG again , Well ....... Back to the Gear and chainsaw threads i go . ;-)

Glad you got everything worked out Karen!!
Very cool that Corie could get over there to take a look and give you some tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.