corn and pellets = more heat ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman1776

Dec 19, 2010
central illinois
I did service call for a farmer. He gave me about 12 bushel of corn. From what I have read corn is 7000 btu pr pound wood pellet 8000 btu pr pound. I have stove on when I came home with the corn had AWF pellets in stove my magnetic thermo said 190 degrees. I added some corn to bout 50 % mix buy quess and went back to work. Came home stove temp was 260 ? It ws cooler out when i got home from work then when I left. With corn producting only 7k btu pr pound why was stove making more heat?

I have seen BTU ratings for corn all over the map. The biggest issue with corn is the moisture content. Lower moisture usually equals cleaner burn and a bit more heat.

Where your probably seeing the heat increased is corn is smaller than wood pellets. So your probably getting more BTU's overall dumpped into the burnpot. If your filling the hopper more often? Reduce the feedrate to equal it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.