corn and the 25 PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah could probably just call Englander and get the answer straight from them since my stove is 10 y/o.
But does anyone know if you can burn corn or a mixture in the 25 PDVC? I am only bringing it up cause the lady at the local feed store said I should ask about it since they have so much corn in stock right now.

According to your stove's owners manual, it says "Your stove is designed to burn Premium Hardwood Pellets". That said, if you have corn rated pellet exhaust pipe, and since your stove is long over it's warranty, I'd try 25-50% mixture with pellets, but not straight corn.

Question: I know the feed store lady said she has lots of it, but what's the price? May not be a good deal anyway.

imacman said:
According to your stove's owners manual, it says "Your stove is designed to burn Premium Hardwood Pellets". That said, if you have corn rated pellet exhaust pipe, and since your stove is long over it's warranty, I'd try 25-50% mixture with pellets, but not straight corn.

Question: I know the feed store lady said she has lots of it, but what's the price? May not be a good deal anyway.

Double walled stainless stove pipe. So what ever it is rated for?

And price did not come up about the corn. I was checking out the free delivery deal they have going on if you order a ton or more of pellets.

Ed S said:
imacman said:

Double walled stainless stove pipe. So what ever it is rated for?

And price did not come up about the corn. I was checking out the free delivery deal they have going on if you order a ton or more of pellets.

That would depend upon what the stainless steel formulation was there are many different formulations for stainless steel, and they are not equal.

vents made and rated for multifuel are not the same as those only rated for pellet maybe one of the members who works for a pipe manufacturer can chime in with the differences i do not know them exactly, this said the differences are due to different compounds and heat factors in the exhausting of corn. running a corn mix through pellet pipe i assume could damage the pipe if done long term.

as for running corn in a PDVC it would probably do it at least in a mix but the stove not being designed for it the outcome could be less than optimal, corn burning requires different fuel air mixtures and jetting to effectively make it work well, the pellet stove isnt likley to give you the properties you woulld need to maximize performance with corn. its a free country and anyone is welcome to try it however i couldnt tell you if it would work well or not or if it would damage the unit if corn were burned long term, i simply do not have the data or test results to give an educated opinion on the subject having not burned the stove with that fuel myself

Thanks Mike and Smokey.

Smokey I understand there are different levels of stainless. I did not know if all stove pipe was the same.

And again back to the lady at the feed store; said the only problem they had is sometimes the auger gets jammed from corn.

I am happy with what I have right now and am not going to go screwing it up trying to burn something new, especially with it getting ready to snow this weekend.

The good folks at Iburncorn.com might have a little more insight. I believe corn is about $200 a ton right now, so about the same as pellets.

I just paid 178 / ton for cleaned and dried corn in my area. Corn is up in price due to the political Green movement, floods out west and because Obama said so :)

Does your stove have the agitator in the burn pot? I dont think model has one right? Mine does, and I think you need one to burn straight corn.
Mixing it say 50 /50 might not be an issue for stiring and will definitly give you a hotter burn. I did that alot last fall before i went to straight corn.

stoveguy2esw said:
vents made and rated for multifuel are not the same as those only rated for pellet maybe one of the members who works for a pipe manufacturer can chime in with the differences i do not know them exactly, this said the differences are due to different compounds and heat factors in the exhausting of corn. running a corn mix through pellet pipe i assume could damage the pipe if done long term.

as for running corn in a PDVC it would probably do it at least in a mix but the stove not being designed for it the outcome could be less than optimal, corn burning requires different fuel air mixtures and jetting to effectively make it work well, the pellet stove isnt likley to give you the properties you woulld need to maximize performance with corn. its a free country and anyone is welcome to try it however i couldnt tell you if it would work well or not or if it would damage the unit if corn were burned long term, i simply do not have the data or test results to give an educated opinion on the subject having not burned the stove with that fuel myself

Inner pipe is made of a Stainless steel that is more durable to the corrosives in the biofuels. Duravents Pellet vent pro is 304 stainless and the Pellet vent is 430 stainless.

see the second page of this PDF

No agitator in the burn pot, just straight from the auger.

And I just tossed the paper that I had the pipe info written down on. I had the salesman at the local Ace give me the specs over the phone and then went to pick up what I needed.

stoveguy2esw said:

Mike,

Just curious, is there a difference in the materials used to construct the PDVC and Englander's multifuel stoves, such as the combustion chamber, burn pot, combustion blower, augers, glass, etc.? If so, could you elaborate?

j-takeman said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Inner pipe is made of a Stainless steel that is more durable to the corrosives in the biofuels. Duravents Pellet vent pro is 304 stainless and the Pellet vent is 430 stainless.

see the second page of this PDF

The thing that always interests me is the 1" clearance for USA and 3" clearance for Canada. Assume someone cuts a hole just big enough to fit the wall thimble through. Then there isn't sufficient clearance. If the hole was cut with 3" added to the outer diameter then the thimble wouldn't cover. The install instructions do no specify hole the wall thimble hole should be cut, but specify for a through the roof install.

So which is it for Canada? A 3" distance from the pipe for the wall thimble hole or 3" from the thimble? No where can I find where the law specifies this.

Status
Not open for further replies.