Corn boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adkhunter

Aug 20, 2012
Hello everyone. I'm looking into the possibility of getting a corn boiler so I can get away from my aging extremely inefficient oil boiler. I'll start with a little background...

We just purchased the house this past November. It's our first home and we hope to spend at least 15-20 years here before we build our "dream home". The house was built mid 1930s but has been updated a lot and had additions added on over the years. Insulation is moderate to pretty good depending on what section of the house your in. Roughly 1700 sqft one story. Half basement half crawl space. Oil boiler resides in the basement. I have been slowly working on increasing insulation to basement walls and around the rim joist and even the attic.

I have a detached 2 car garage roughly 20-25 ft from the house that is insulated but needs some TLC. But it will be receiving a completed overhaul over the next 2 years.

Now that I've got all that out of the way on to what I'm really here about...

I'm burning between 175-225 gallons of fuel oil every 3-3.5 weeks. It's insane. Luckily fuel is cheap this winter and temps have been unseasonably warm here. I knew the boiler was a problem when we bought the place. But I had ideas in the back of my head to solve the problem. I've insulated the hot water pipes and had the boiler serviced by trusted pros who tell me it's just old and isn't burning efficiently at all. While we will limp through the remainder of this so called winter, this summer a new system will have to take over the heat demand.

This brings me to the possibility of a corn boiler. My main reason behind one is the fact that I can get free corn in unlimited amounts. It is dirty corn but very dry. After a little googling I found a few different types of machines to clean the corn fairly easily. The idea of having free fuel is very enticing. Other than cleaning it there isn't much work involved to the supply end of things which is a bonus.

I would ideally like to put the boiler in the garage and run underground lines to the house. It's not that far of a run so it shouldn't be too bad. With the boiler in the garage I can either build some kind of storage hopper for corn or I've looked into buying a used grain bin for corn storage. Would like to run a auger from storage to the inside of the garage too. I have a small Woodstove in the garage currently but I'd take that out and use its chimney for the boiler.

I've been eyeballing the A-maize-Ing Heat brand boiler. I can't seem to find a whole lot about them online from owners perspective. A few scattered reviews here and there seem to be majority positive which leads me towards possibly giving it a go.

Anyone out there have any experience with the A-Maize-Ing heat or another corn boiler I should be looking into as well? I appreciate any info or feedback!

I have the same unit. It was way to big for my new home as I found the house only needs about 12-14k btu to keep things good as why I went with the crosslink in the Harman and works pretty good. PM me and we can continue:)

Kap may have some advice, he seemed pretty instrumental over at the corn burners forum before it shut down. He may chime in. I'm sure there are others. It's too bad that forum wasn't archived in some form so it could be accessed . There was such a huge amount of information lost there.

Ya I keep seeing old references to iburncorn.com but it looks to be shut down. I agree it's a shame that all that info has been lost.

Kap may have some advice, he seemed pretty instrumental over at the corn burners forum before it shut down. He may chime in. I'm sure there are others. It's too bad that forum wasn't archived in some form so it could be accessed . There was such a huge amount of information lost there.
Some information on IBC is still available, not much but you can find it using waybackmachine and then search for iburncorn. Nothing is updated, the site is done but waybackmachine takes screen shots of web-site to archive and sometimes you can find what you are looking for using it. So it's not actually the IBC site it's archived shots that have some of that info.

To the OP, hope this helps.

I have a central boiler maxim 175. This is the 8th or 9th winter. Happy with it and back on 100% corn last 2 years.

If you look for my posts you'll find pics.

Tim

Reactions: FirepotPete
Thanks! I looked back through a lot of your posts. The maxim looks like a nice unit. I did some reading on them and I like what I see. I haven't called a dealer for pricing yet but I think I read someone saying they run around 10K. Is this about right? Not sure I'm going to be able to swing that much but it's still possible. The other boiler I was looking at is around 4800. So many options to choose from. Good thing I have all spring and summer to figure this out

There are also pellet head kits out there, that you can swap out for an oil burner. Not sure how or if they handle corn, and not sure if your boiler would be fit for one though.

I have seen those burner swap kits. I think pellergy is one company that does them if I remember right. That would be a option if my oil burner wasn't such a old pile of crap. I think it's coming to its final stages of life so I wouldn't dare try using it for pellets. Good thought though thank you for that!

On a negative note...my wife just called me and said the house is cold and boiler won't turn on. Awesome....good thing I'm just getting off work and headed home to see what's wrong this time....

Thanks! I looked back through a lot of your posts. The maxim looks like a nice unit. I did some reading on them and I like what I see. I haven't called a dealer for pricing yet but I think I read someone saying they run around 10K. Is this about right? Not sure I'm going to be able to swing that much but it's still possible. The other boiler I was looking at is around 4800. So many options to choose from. Good thing I have all spring and summer to figure this out

Yeah the prices have gotten out of control. I paid about half that when I got mine. They are pretty much plug and play though. If you watch craigslist I've seen M175 and M250 for 2-5k. Not sure if you want used but a couple of them looked about brand new.

If you go that route I recommend the bulk bin. I don't even look at mine everyday anymore. I would recommend putting outside to avoid any messes when cleaning ashes. Just my 2 cents.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.