Corn Burning Stove - Considering adding modification to burn wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

broncocorn

Sep 25, 2006
Hello;

I currently have a St. Croix Auburn Corn Burning Stove. I have been really happy with it and want to get a corn burning furnace. Corn is really cheap to burn here in Iowa, even cheaper than burning wood pellets. I want to send my corn stove to my parents in Canada, because there is cheap wood pellets there. Corn is not as easy to get in a big city. Has anybody done this conversion that you know of. We purchased our stove from Century Farm Harvest Heat in Iowa City. Ed Williams is the owner and his website is http://harvest-heat.com. He is really knowledgable about his products and I trust him. I just want to get some more opinions.

Cheers

Go take a look at iburncorn.com forums and ask there. Chances are someone already is doing it who can tell you everything you need to know. Nearly all of the pellet stoves can burn a high percentage of corn and the basic innards are much the same. It very well could be that you need do nothing at all but pour in corn or perhaps keep some pellets in the mix.

He's wanting to go the other way. Does the St. Croix have a "pot stirrer"? If not I can't really see a problem with burning pellets. Though I admittedly have little to no experience with those creatures.

The reason I say iburncorn.com is that they have quite a pellet section. Also they cover and have experimented with mixing. It wouldn't matter if you had a stirrer I would think either. My Coountryside has a stirrer and I can turn it on or off and regulate the speed. The stirrer just makes a bit more noise is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.