Corn Cobs for Fire Starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
First yr trying it. I really like them. I throw in a couple hand fulls with fodder and its instant blaze. The cobs don't burn out like paper and cardboard either. They get hot and produce coals. We raise Indian corn and shell the seed for next yr thats how we get the cobs.

i read that years ago,the stalks were dried and used for fuel in stoves,guess the wood was all cleared for crops

Sounds like a good use for a byproduct of your corn operation. As long as they burn nice and clean, it sounds like a great idea to me!

Back when all the corn was picked then put into a corn crib, burning corn cobs was the norm. I also remember using them a lot for our cooking stove. For fire starters folks used to put some kerosene on the cobs and as long as they weren't over soaked it worked well. I noticed that the cobs from popcorn was better than the ones from field corn.

I normally accumulate a bunch of corn cobs from feeding the squirrels in the winter & spring.Great mixed with my other stuff for kindling.Even used a couple for temp file handles in years past when old one finally fell apart while out in the field.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.