1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Corn Cobs for Fire Starter

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wkpoor, Dec 3, 2012.

1. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    First yr trying it. I really like them. I throw in a couple hand fulls with fodder and its instant blaze. The cobs don't burn out like paper and cardboard either. They get hot and produce coals. We raise Indian corn and shell the seed for next yr thats how we get the cobs.
    Thistle and Backwoods Savage like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. roddy

roddy Member

Loc:
    near ottawa ont too far from punta cana
    i read that years ago,the stalks were dried and used for fuel in stoves,guess the wood was all cleared for crops
  3. GrampaDennis

GrampaDennis New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Sounds like a good use for a byproduct of your corn operation. As long as they burn nice and clean, it sounds like a great idea to me!
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Back when all the corn was picked then put into a corn crib, burning corn cobs was the norm. I also remember using them a lot for our cooking stove. For fire starters folks used to put some kerosene on the cobs and as long as they weren't over soaked it worked well. I noticed that the cobs from popcorn was better than the ones from field corn.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I normally accumulate a bunch of corn cobs from feeding the squirrels in the winter & spring.Great mixed with my other stuff for kindling.Even used a couple for temp file handles in years past when old one finally fell apart while out in the field.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.