Corn cobs - the usual uses and moisture content.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Are corn cobs available in bulk and are they dried to a certain moisture content typically?

I know there are various ways that folks process corn, but I'm thinking of shelled corn - does this get shelled in the field by the combine and the cobs left behind, or does this process get done elsewhere?

In other words, what type of small operation (if any) has corn cobs and what are they typically used for?

A lot of corn cobs are ground up to add to feed for cattle. Of course what I had to use them for behind the barn at Grandpa's when I was a kid makes me want to never see another corn cob as long as I live.

Charmin they ain't.

I think Brother Bart could be a little more lucid in his explanation, but maybe that doesn't belong on a family show ?

Craig, there are basically 2 processes. First (and most common today) is that the combine separates the kernel from the cob (in the field) and deposits the byproduct (stalk, silk, cob, etc) back to the field. Keep in mind that everything that is taken from the field (cobs, etc.) has to be replaced with more fertilizer or another type of crop.

Second method, which is fading from the real world pretty fast is the "shelled" corn. This is where you used to see the corn bins with whole corn cobs (including the kernel) that get loaded in the fall and then are processed either in a large batch or in smaller batches when feed is needed. The "sheller" separates the kernel from the cob on site. If you were looking for a source of corn cobs, this is where I would be headed. Find a local that raises cattle and still uses the open air corn cribs or bins. But I think you will have to look pretty hard to find many still in use.

In the old days (like back in my fathers youth), they used to shell on site, leaving wagons or piles of cobs as the by product. They used to burn the cobs in the coal furnace or the wood stove in the kitchen. They are a short lived fire, but do burn hot.

Edit... Storage corn is usually dried to around 15%, the cobs would also represent approx. that number.

KeithO said:
I think Brother Bart could be a little more lucid in his explanation, but maybe that doesn't belong on a family show ?

Suffice it to say, god bless toilet paper.

Webmaster said:
Are corn cobs available in bulk and are they dried to a certain moisture content typically?

I know there are various ways that folks process corn, but I'm thinking of shelled corn - does this get shelled in the field by the combine and the cobs left behind, or does this process get done elsewhere?

In other words, what type of small operation (if any) has corn cobs and what are they typically used for?

Corn cobs are getting difficult to fine. The reason for this is todays combines shell the corn right in the field and when the cobs come out they are shredded. So there's no sense in following a combine to find corn cobs..

There are some dairy that still pick corn and store it on the cob (typically 12% or less on the moisture when picked) but those folks grind cob and all for dairy feed. In short, I really don't know where you can get corn cobs in any amount.

Thanks for the replies - it's amazing how much knowledge there is here...

I did find some companies that are engaged in processing corn cobs for many uses, especially as grit (polishing stuff), etc.

I guess I will look around for some corn cribs for a small stock for experimentation......

Try asking one of your local farmers if you could hand pick ears of corn before harvest time. If they don't have to touch it you may fairly easily have a deal ! In my search for corn, I have come across farmers who have said that the cheapest price is to buy at harvest time and have the amount you need dumped directly out of their combine. Once it goes in the silo the price starts cranking up pretty steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.