Corn for sale?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
I just looked at the fuel price reports section on this website. Are people really paying $240 ton and $6-7 per 50lb bag? If so, I'll bag up my corn right out of the bin and sell a full bushel for $5. I've even got a bag sewing machine so if I have the sacks we could do it. I can't believe it would be worth it at that cost?

Yes, I have a local farmer selling it for$240 a ton. Screened and baged. 50 LBS in each bag.

I can get cleaner burning pellets for that price so, I will hold off for now!

jay

There is a lot more chatting about corn at iburncorn.com forum.

It probably would jack the price over what would be affordable to have it ship it here.

Probably better to find some local stove sales shop in your area and Offer you product there. You will be surprised how many corn burning people there are.

SE Iowa said:
I just looked at the fuel price reports section on this website. Are people really paying $240 ton and $6-7 per 50lb bag? If so, I'll bag up my corn right out of the bin and sell a full bushel for $5. I've even got a bag sewing machine so if I have the sacks we could do it. I can't believe it would be worth it at that cost?

I am not paying that much for my corn. I bought my first bag at Tractor Supply Store for $5.99 for 50lb. bag. I'm getting some from a local farmer for less but have to clean. SE Iowa, please send me a ton and I'll try it out, and we'll work out how you can get me 2 more tons for the winter. ;-)

sculptor said:
.....I bought my first bag at Tractor Supply Store for $5.99 for 50lb. bag......

Sculptor, the corn you're getting at TSC isn't seed or deer corn, is it? All you're supposed to burn is shelled corn at 11-12% moisture. Seed corn often has pesticides on it, and deer corn sometimes has molasses or sugar on it.

As per your owners manual, "Burning seed corn in your stove will void your warranty and will destroy the exhaust system on the unit".

Hope the farmers corn is better. What are you cleaning it with?

Thanks macman! I talked with Mike and he told me he buys the same whole shelled corn from TS across the street from his factory. The corn from the farmer is regular field corn that I am purchasing the Englander corn sifter to clean the fines and chaff(?) out with.

Status
Not open for further replies.