Corn From Farmers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SHBates2009

Jan 10, 2017
Camden, NY
I have always used wood pellets in my Pellet stove since we purchased it 6 years ago. I just recently purchased a Multi Fuel Pellet Furnace. So I was wondering can you buy corn directly from a Farmer to burn in the stove. I am looking for an alternative to wood pellets to burn in the Northeast. Just want to make sure it would work or would it not be dry enough? Thanks for the Response.

I have always used wood pellets in my Pellet stove since we purchased it 6 years ago. I just recently purchased a Multi Fuel Pellet Furnace. So I was wondering can you buy corn directly from a Farmer to burn in the stove. I am looking for an alternative to wood pellets to burn in the Northeast. Just want to make sure it would work or would it not be dry enough? Thanks for the Response.
the biggest issue is getting dry enough corn as 10 to 12 % would be ideal moisture to burn BUT even farmers that dry their own corn usually dont want it much lower then 15% which in my experience doesn't burn as well. Farmers lose to much shrink and Test weight drying it that dry

Actually one of the reasons for not going to low is they can easily crack the kernals in all the moving equipment and they get docked for that and why pay for drying corn lower if they won't get paid for it. I generally get corn from the elevator around 13% and batch dry down to single digits. This year was great corn and the cleaner I use hardly takes out any cracked corn and fines. Local pheasants are not to happy.

The design of the burn pot will dictate a lot of how high of water the unit can handle. If its deep and reflects a lot of heat back into the fire the unit should handle higher moisture levels. My Bixby can go to 15% without issue and the Kernal burner 100k with a pot the size of a coffee can and even go higher but then you may have more issues with keeping the exchangers and venting clean.

Todays buy price $3.29/bu

Actually one of the reasons for not going to low is they can easily crack the kernals in all the moving equipment and they get docked for that and why pay for drying corn lower if they won't get paid for it. I generally get corn from the elevator around 13% and batch dry down to single digits. This year was great corn and the cleaner I use hardly takes out any cracked corn and fines. Local pheasants are not to happy.

The design of the burn pot will dictate a lot of how high of water the unit can handle. If its deep and reflects a lot of heat back into the fire the unit should handle higher moisture levels. My Bixby can go to 15% without issue and the Kernal burner 100k with a pot the size of a coffee can and even go higher but then you may have more issues with keeping the exchangers and venting clean.

BIO to the rescue!! ;lol

^^^^^
This is 100% fact. ^^^^^^

I would encourage anyone looking to buy direct from the grower, to meet the farmer personally ahead of time and even ask around about him/her. Just as buying from a store, the grower can also have a bad reputation. Avoid that up front to make your experience a positive one. Research and be an informed buyer.

How do you determine the moisture level of the corn? I can get corn for free and want to try mixing it with the pellets, but haven't yet until I know how if what I am using is dry enough.

If you buy from an elevator it will cost a bit more. You may get a dryer/cleaner product from a deal. Also it sort of depends on what you have for hauling and storage equipment. Also most farmers won't have a convenient way to measure / weigh it.

A farmer likely wouldn't want you to pickup a few bushels at a time as it takes him away from other things that he has to do. If you want 100 bu and only haul 10 to 20 bu at a time it becomes a head ache for him. Also Cash is king buying privately a business can handle a check or credit card easier.
I buy Year Old Corn from local farmers as it is usually dryer and they want to make room for the new crop.

I haul 150 bu home in one trip with a wagon and have a bin that will store that much for me.

1017161015[1].jpg

1017161013[1].jpg

Reactions: Mt Bob
How do you determine the moisture level of the corn? I can get corn for free and want to try mixing it with the pellets, but haven't yet until I know how if what I am using is dry enough.

Take a cupful to a grain elevator and have it tested is the easiest. Some farmers will have a tester.

I have bought farmer direct. Usually more hassle in getting weights and are farther away and trying to catch them when they are moving the corn adds into hassle factor for both of us. Last time I did it was -20 and that was when they were shipping. Kinda makes getting from the elevator when I want better too. Elevator is 2 miles away and after main harvest is done in November pretty much I drop by and see how busy they are and hook up the trailer and roll in. Have been paying 25 cents above their pay price of the day.

Reactions: Mt Bob
The supplier I would be getting from has his corn in a silo and is stored from the previous year. Should that be dry enough? He is a close enough family friend that I will probable try and get a Couple Bushels from him and do a test burn with it. Besides Corn and Wood Pellets do you guys recommend any other alternate supply that is readily available in Upstate NY. Thanks for all the responses. It is Greatly appreciated.

The supplier I would be getting from has his corn in a silo and is stored from the previous year. Should that be dry enough? He is a close enough family friend that I will probable try and get a Couple Bushels from him and do a test burn with it. Besides Corn and Wood Pellets do you guys recommend any other alternate supply that is readily available in Upstate NY. Thanks for all the responses. It is Greatly appreciated.
Corn stored for that long should have a 13% or less moisture content. I don't know of any crop or crop residue in your state. We have a member that burns Hazelnut shells. We have available beet pulp pellets but I never seem to be at the right place or time to get them reasonable. If wheat gets any cheaper I may try. We had a mill that was taking the screenings from wheat and pelletizing and that was very high ash with moderate heat. Mostly a good feed for pheasants with all the weed seeds and very high protein.

I found this regarding determining moisture in shelled corn. http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G3151
You could also theoretically use this method with wood pellets also. Basically you take a sample of what it is you are testing, weigh it including the container, then force dry it in the microwave and compare how much weight is lost (in grams) then you can determine the percentage of moisture.

Reactions: Arti
Corn stored for that long should have a 13% or less moisture content. I don't know of any crop or crop residue in your state. We have a member that burns Hazelnut shells. We have available beet pulp pellets but I never seem to be at the right place or time to get them reasonable. If wheat gets any cheaper I may try. We had a mill that was taking the screenings from wheat and pelletizing and that was very high ash with moderate heat. Mostly a good feed for pheasants with all the weed seeds and very high protein.

Thanks again for the Help. Glad I found the forum. There is tons of useful Information.