Corn Hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lordtimothy200

Burning Hunk
Dec 29, 2018
Nebraska
Just wanted to post a bit about my setup for getting corn to my St Croix Auburn stove. I have been using most of this for the last few years. A few of the items need updating.

My wife and I was in the middle of starting a business about that time so this was done on a shoestring budget. The corn wagon I ended up with holds 200 bushels which is about what I use in a cold winter. To get the corn to the house I use a pneumatic conveyor (or better known as a 4" PVC pipe and leaf blower) to get the corn into a 285 gallon tank for transport.

The 285 gallon tank was modified with another 4" PVC pipe to get the corn into the corn hopper on the outside of the house. Again the use of a leaf blower fills the corn bin on the porch.

All in all, it works good, beats the ole 5 gallon bucket filling the hopper twice a day.

Corn Hopper
Corn Hopper
Corn Hopper
Corn Hopper

Nice.
Is that a window on the corn bin so you can see how much is in it?

Looks good! Love me some corn burning! I also use the IBC totes for storage but have the Corn-vac system for additional cleaning.

Just one question, do you have the entire system grounded? If not you need to get it grounded, you don't need a boom, you just want flame in the stove.

Reactions: kappel15
Just wanted to post a bit about my setup for getting corn to my St Croix Auburn stove. I have been using most of this for the last few years. A few of the items need updating.

My wife and I was in the middle of starting a business about that time so this was done on a shoestring budget. The corn wagon I ended up with holds 200 bushels which is about what I use in a cold winter. To get the corn to the house I use a pneumatic conveyor (or better known as a 4" PVC pipe and leaf blower) to get the corn into a 285 gallon tank for transport.

The 285 gallon tank was modified with another 4" PVC pipe to get the corn into the corn hopper on the outside of the house. Again the use of a leaf blower fills the corn bin on the porch.

All in all, it works good, beats the ole 5 gallon bucket filling the hopper twice a day.

View attachment 237048 View attachment 237049 View attachment 237050 View attachment 237051
This is some good stuff, I really enjoy on-site inventions like this. Successful farmers are generally good at this stuff, and seeing that you are from Nebraska, I suspect you have that somewhere in your background.

What part of NE are you in? I have family in the Merna and also Sidney area.

Yes, the clear plexiglass is to see how much corn in the bin. I do ground it with a metal rod resting on the IBC Tote........learned the hard way to make sure it is grounded. In the beginning I cleaned the corn then ended up deciding it wasn't worth the effort. The farmer just swings by with the combine and drops it into the grain wagon. Comes out pretty clean as is and moving it with air just blows most of the rest of the dirt out of it.

The bin on the house holds around 25 bushels with gravity feed into the stove in the house. Once I got the stove installed it took me about a week till it was too much work to fill the stove twice a day. It doesn't take long to fill the bin, it moves about a 1.25 to 1.5 bushels a minute.

The idea came from all those hunters who fill deer feeders with a leaf blowers, just modified the idea to work for my setup. Looked at buying a Auger for it but this was way cheaper setup.

We live in the Southeast corner of Nebraska just south of Lincoln.

Reactions: FirepotPete