Corn/ pellet mixture question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes,nut not a lot, so not economically feasible for most to burn. About 7 million bushels a year. And more for silage, for the dairy farms. Why?
Just curious. I work for a County Conservation District and grew up on a dairy farm. Carry on.

Yep,you tested and found out that "corn burns hotter" is a misnomer. It burns at a different rate, which is why it is easy to destroy a pellet stove burning it. Heck, average corn has 7k-8k btu's per pound,and higher moisture than quality pellets, which have 8k-pushing 9k btus per pound. Corn is also very dirty, ash,buildup and klinkers. Which is why good corn stoves have mechanical cleaning systems, and use a much higher quality flue pipe, it will rot out regular pipe quite fast. But don't get me wrong, if it was available and cheap around here,i would have a corn stove. As I would have a coal stove.
I have corn available around here, but the price is the same or a little more than pellets if I get it from the feed mill.

I thought about trying it since I had read it puts off more heat, but then when I looked it up I found what you had stated…..that the btu rating for it is about the same as pellets, so no point to add the extra work. If there was a substantial $$ savings I would probably do it.

Just for an experiment/fun I may grow some of my own corn and see how it works out.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I have corn available around here, but the price is the same or a little more than pellets if I get it from the feed mill.

I thought about trying it since I had read it puts off more heat, but then when I looked it up I found what you had stated…..that the btu rating for it is about the same as pellets, so no point to add the extra work. If there was a substantial $$ savings I would probably do it.

Just for an experiment/fun I may grow some of my own corn and see how it works out.
You probabky already know this, but you have to shell it and dry it so its likely to be a net negative operation. But if you're looking to try it for fun for the satisfaction of trying it then go for it.

You probabky already know this, but you have to shell it and dry it so its likely to be a net negative operation. But if you're looking to try it for fun for the satisfaction of trying it then go for it.
Yeah. It would take some figuring out. Definitely not a $$+ situation. But since I always want to experiment with stuff it would be interesting.

I have a BX tractor, so it is a positive in 2 way. Get to play with the tractor and experiment with corn.