Corn pot---- updated with cherry pits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
So I was looking on ebay, someone has the same stove I have and list it as PELLET STOVE, KOZI MODEL ksh 120 ,CORN/PELLET STOVE. Then in description it says CORN POT $100.00 EXTRA. I don't see any where in my manual or else where that says my stove can be used with corn. I emailed this guy asking, but I am confused how he can be listing this like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PELLET-STOVE-KO...ultDomain_0&hash=item5adac270a4#ht_1160wt_698

What year is yours Chris? Maybe the newer ones have a modification for corn?

I have heard members at IBC saying stuff about clinker pots. They are after market pots made for corn burning by one of the members there. Maybe that were there getting them? If you hear anything from the ebay seller? Please keep us posted.

Well this is the response I got from the ebay seller....

"KOZI brand stoves have a capability to burn clean, shelled corn. You cannot burn it in the pot that originally came with the stove. KOZI offers a special corn burn pot. It is specially designed to handle the sugar and starches in corn. Hope this helps."

I will have to call or email Kozi and see whats up with this. If this is the case, don't you need another kind of vent pipe or something.

Where do I locate the year my stove was made? The only date I see say report no. 1992. Could my stove really be 19 years old?????!!!!!!!!!!

So here is the reply I got back from Kozi....

Hello,

You are able to burn corn....but you must be aware of the following:

1. corn is very hard to burn- you must start stove with pellet fuel and then you can switch to corn or a mixture of corn and pellets

2. corn has a high starch level and when burned is very very corrosive- will eat your venting and leaves behind a sticky tar like residue.

3. you do need a special burn pot

4. when corn burns, the burn pot will clog alot due to the formation of hard clinkers from the starch in the corn.

5. You will need to be very very consistent with cleaning of your stove and venting.

Does corn burn hotter than pellets? I would guess I need a vent for multi fuel stove right or no? Would burning corn or mixure be worth the risk, etc...

my stove is a multi fuel stove and I have been burning 50 / 50 mix I get a lot more heat with the mix and straight pellets.

Looking at new venting so I can try corn at some point if I can find it around here,
this is what I have now...

The PelletVent Pro System is a higher quality construction than both normal and Corn-Burning systems offered by Simpson, and it is compatible with both types of systems!
PelletVent Pro, offered in 3" and 4" diameters, is designed for use with pellet stoves, low-temperature venting systems, and is also designed to withstand the corrosive flue gasses of corn-burning appliances. PelletVent Pro is rated for continuous flue temperatures up to, but not exceeding, 570 °F. Supported Fuels: Wood and Corn Pellets
PelletVent Pro is not interchangeable with standard PelletVent or CornVent.

45elb.jpg
length.jpg

I don't understand though, it says is designed for use with pellet stoves, low-temperature venting systems, and is also designed to withstand the corrosive flue gasses of corn-burning appliances. But then it says pelletVent Pro is not interchangeable with standard PelletVent or CornVent. So can I or can't I use this for burning corn? Am I reading something wrong..

Where does one buy the shelled corn to burn in stoves? I called my local tsc, country max and they don't have it..

I live in corn country and had a bit of time finding some place to buy any. Farm & fleet , rual king and one feed store I could get 50 lb bags for $ 8.00 bag ! I get mine from a grain co-op or farmer I know. I found when I went to the large grain elivators they have lots of corn but the either did not sell less then train car load at a time or they did not sell corn at all just took it in. The places to ask are like the place I get mine it is in small town around here have rail road tracks grain elivator 5 houses you have a town. They all only sell in bulk so you have to find a way to haul it. I bought 4 30 gallon plastic drums thought it would be perfict wrong the guy at the elevator said any thing smaller then a 55 gllon drum he could not fill from the arger or over head but he was nice and we filled them from a gravity wagon with 5 gallon bucket. They held 700 lbs / 56 lb pr bushel or 12.5 bushel. I paid 5.79 pr bushel.

Chris many local farmers grow feed corn for animal/stock. Its the same stuff but needs to be dried to about 12% moisture content. I was lucky enough to find a local grower that has corn for feed stock and stoves(dried). Its an alternitive for you. But I would stick to pellet/corn mix. As straight corn would need pellets to get burning in a standard stove. 60/40 pellets to corn lights good and seems to be the best ratio. I tried it in all 3 stoves I owned.

j-takeman said:
Chris many local farmers grow feed corn for animal/stock. Its the same stuff but needs to be dried to about 12% moisture content. I was lucky enough to find a local grower that has corn for feed stock and stoves(dried). Its an alternitive for you. But I would stick to pellet/corn mix. As straight corn would need pellets to get burning in a standard stove. 60/40 pellets to corn lights good and seems to be the best ratio. I tried it in all 3 stoves I owned.
thats what I was shooting for, but can't find shelled corn anywhere in my area. I saw some one on craigslist have some listed, but I am not going to buy a whole lot before I try this. I see some people have some on ebay, but seems to be a little expensive.

chrisasst said:
j-takeman said:
thats what I was shooting for, but can't find shelled corn anywhere in my area. I saw some one on craigslist have some listed, but I am not going to buy a whole lot before I try this. I see some people have some on ebay, but seems to be a little expensive.

I went to blue seal and got a bag of feed corn(same stuff) to trial before I made a long hual to get my corn from the farmer. Do you have any feed stores locally?

I just called Lilleys tack & feed in dryden, ny, which is blue seal . I asked if they had feed corn, her reply was the have whole corn, and fine corn. Is that what I should be looking for. I don't know maybe I am asking for the wrong stuff when I am calling these places. TSC said they have cracked corn? Country max is blue seal, but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I called the place where I bought my stove and asked him what I need to burn corn. He told me but then said I shouldn't burn corn because of all the problems with corn. He said that if I wanted to burn something other than pellets to try cherry pits. I asked him if the kozi 120 could do that and he said he thinks so and that any pellet stove can burn them and I need no different pot or anything...I saw last year that TSC had them, but didn't see any this year.
Your thoughts?

Cherry pits burn hot But fast. Might have issues getting them as well. But I agree they do burn better than corn. But honestly wood pellets are real hard to beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.