Corn vs. Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
It was cold enough last week to switch over to 100% corn and burn full time, The Quad doesn't like to ignite all corn as most know. Once going tho, it runs great. I know there has been much debate about whether corn or pellet burns hotter and know the btu content, but man I swear corn is hotter. Is this because it feeds more corn volume wise? Or does the clinker radiate some? Or am I nuts and just hopeful because of pellet prices? I plan to do a more of a scientific study with the point and shoot temp gage, right now I'm thinking many do not adjust feed rates and the smaller corn feeds and burn quicker. Thoughts?

Metal, I know the math, just wondering if my theory about feed rate and pellet size could account for what seems like a hotter burn? The pellets I'm burning this year are 8700+btu according to the manu, corn is around 12% H20. After all night burns on med with 100% each with comparable weather (temps, wind), the house was sitting about 5-7 degrees warmer in the AM with corn. I know I'm not accounting for all the varibles, just trying to figure this out.

GotzTheHotz, I think you are onto something:

What's the density of corn vs density of pellets?

everybody talks about energy content per lb, but we all load & feed the stove by volume.

And I don't mean just the density of 1 pellet vs 1 corn kernal - you have to take into account that corn will pack in much more tightly than most pellets.

Corn even feels slightly hotter with my Countryside. I just take their word for it and leave it at that. The big factor and its a big one is the price. I just got 2 bags of pellets to start mine with and at $4.98 a bag its a no brainer. Pellets simply cost a lot more. Thats the long and short of it. I leave mine on the thermostat and it doesn't shut off, just switching between 30K and 10 K. 10K is about right to keep the house from cooling off durung the wee hours of the night. It works for me and with corn the price is right even here in NY which is definitely not corn country. I used to think I was at a disadvantage because I lack the suto start feature. I do use a setback thermostat which helps getting things up to temp in the morning. I definitely would not be without that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.