Corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
I didn't know where most of you corn burners buy your corn at. I'm sure some of you buy it from local farmers.

I've never bought or priced a bag of corn.

The reason I ask, is we produce 100,000 bushel of corn each year. We dry most of our corn to 14% with foreign material less than 1.5%. I have capabilities to dry and clean good quality bushels. Is there a market for this?

RowCropRenegade said:
I didn't know where most of you corn burners buy your corn at. I'm sure some of you buy it from local farmers......

If I could find it locally for a decent price (cheaper per BTU than pellets), I'd try some 50/50 mixed with corn. I'm sure there is a market for the corn, especially the people that have multi-fuel stoves, but the main reason I don't is poor availability, and the price is the same or more than pellets.

RowCropRenegade said:
I didn't know where most of you corn burners buy your corn at. I'm sure some of you buy it from local farmers.

The reason I ask, is we produce 100,000 bushel of corn each year. We dry most of our corn to 14% with foreign material less than 1.5%. I have capabilities to dry and clean good quality bushels. Is there a market for this?

With the price of wood pellets heck yeah theres a market. Problem is corn burns dirtier than pellets and produces less BTU's. So you would have to sell it for less than a ton of pellets for it to be worth us buying it. My local farmer can sell it for feed stock more than what most corn burners want to spend.

$6.00 for 50lbs bag or 240/ton is the going rate near me! I bought pellets for $240/ton this year. So if there close in price pellets will be my choice. More heat and less stove cleaning! But if the market changes and corn is cheapier. I will burn some. Mid winter will see pellets sky rocket and corn generally falls to a price I might pay.

jay

I've never burned corn..... never heard of anyone burning around my parts either... It'd have to be cheaper then 200/ton CAD for me to consider.

Is a bushel 56 lbs? or is it a unit of volume? If you can get the price to around $6.25/bushel then theres a market (56lbs). I would guess that in Ohio you'd find a good number of multi-fuel units that would love your corn.

Lots of information re burning corn on iburncorn.com

As for corn producing less BTU than pellets -- lets set that straight -- the potential per pound is not significantly different

But corn does burn (as much as ) 30% slower than pellets and takes a bit more combustion air - so you have to cut your feed rate down or the pot spills over with unburnt material

when consuming pellets - they burn faster and you can get more BTU's but at the cost of more fuel - because your burning a greater volume

A mix of the two is the best of both worlds for economy of operation ( if corn is cheep ) and for BTU output as the two fuels feed each other for a hotter fire on the same volume - with less combustion air.

RowCropRenegade said:

I can't see why not. Before corn went price stupid I used to buy it from a variety of places. Many of the feed lots really don't want to deal with a guy who wants a ton in the back of his truck. Ask them how much a ton is and you get the song and dance then a lecture about how it all blows away if you get it out of the 14' chute falling into your truck. This or that, bla, bla, bla. If you don't want to sell any then just say so and get it out there I usually tell them. If you aren't making them rich they don't want to know you. The small farmer on the other hand is better if you can only find one. Not all that many around here who do and those that have seemed to have gotten big dollar signs in their eyes for the most part. There are a couple though who will sell you a ton at a time bagged with no problem. The guy I got mine from before it got cheaper to burn pellets just filled the bags from the auger one at a time and sealed them with a hand held bag stitcher. He uses the large bags but they are beastly to move around much of the time. I use a hand dolly for mine as they are so damned bulky and heavy. You might do better selling to the average joe using 40 or 50 lb bags if you can.
This year with the pellets being so high I will be back to the corn most likely. Surely I am not the only one. Advertise in Craigs list , Pennysaver and places like that. It would surely be helpful if you gave a price as well since most of us don't want to deal with the "minute by minute" updated price. We got enough of that nonsense from the oil companies. Just spell it out and be willing to fill a guys truck or bag up a ton and not make them stand on their heads to buy it and you should be able to sell a lot of corn.
Here is a tip for anyone wanting to haul a ton loose in the back of a pickup, line the bed with a plastic tarp going up the tailgate to the top. if you don't have a tarp you lose a couple hundred pounds on the way home and the birds are happy . If it is going to rain i just toss 2 sheets of plywood over the box until i can get to screening it. Yes you can easily haul a ton of corn in a half ton pickup just like pellets only easier. It balances perfectly with a nice low center of gravity. You can find out about anything you want to know if you join iburncorn.com. There are a few corn farmers on there as well as a whole lot of corn burners.

Sting said:
Lots of information re burning corn on iburncorn.com

As for corn producing less BTU than pellets -- lets set that straight -- the potential per pound is not significantly different

But corn does burn (as much as ) 30% slower than pellets and takes a bit more combustion air - so you have to cut your feed rate down or the pot spills over with unburnt material

when consuming pellets - they burn faster and you can get more BTU's but at the cost of more fuel - because your burning a greater volume

A mix of the two is the best of both worlds for economy of operation ( if corn is cheep ) and for BTU output as the two fuels feed each other for a hotter fire on the same volume - with less combustion air.

ok corn does not have a higher BTU potential, its actually lower per pound (by volume it may be similar), stoves built as primary corn burners actually use less air, too much air is hard to balance (been there tried that , hard to do) fact , stoves built to burn pellets primarily do not perform as well with corn (too much air , no stirrer) corn burns from the inside out , therefore it has to split open (literally start the "popping" sequence) to burn at an efective rate, otherwise it loads up and though you get a bigger fire and more heat , its wasteful as complete combustion is not achieved before run overs happen in most cases.

corn in a proper biomass unit designed to handle it gives off a high rate of heat due to the slower airflow , the heat stays in the stove longer so more transfers through heat exchange systems into the dwelling. pellets , which need more air to burn clean due to higher density will actually not perform as well in a corn only stove , giving the illusion that they have a lower btu content. usually in a biomass unit the "tricky issues" involve too much air , rather than not enough

to our OP yes your 14% corn has a market provided it can compete price wise with the local cost of pellets pound for pound if not beat it. it is a viable fuel source and with the right unit can be used very effectively and efficiently, while 14% is toward the higher end of the scale in fuel corn moisture wise , (ideal is 13 or just a bit less) fuel additives like crushed oyster shell can control clinkering which can happen at the 14% and above level. yeah , you have a fuel source buddy, needs a proper biomass unit to really make it shine though.

Bushel is standard 56 lbs. In different varieties/weather issues it can vary from 54-62. Our average is 57.5 per bushel. That variable is called Test Weight. One of the biggest arguments in agriculture is higher test weight, lower yield or higher yield and lower test weight. More info than you wanted, probably. ;)

I could isolate a few thousand bushels and dry it to 13 if that's what the market is calling for. Cleaning them wouldn't be too hard and bagging to 50 lbs works good. I'd be willing to give discounts for customer pickups for out of the bin/wagon.

I could compete with 6.00 per 50 lbs. Lots of variables but I'm just putting out feelers. The Garn install has me thinking of vertical integration. If this is the 2nd largest crop we've ever produced (seems like its always largest or 2nd largest), you can knock that 6 to a 5.

I''m a member over there but haven't logged in since I crossed off corn burner on my wishlist. I got wood coming out of my ears and corn is the product I'm producing/selling. I still might have one in my shop someday.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel-value-calculator.pdf

pellets = 6800 btu per pound

corn at 15% = 5607 per pound

If my math hasn't failed me again

These alleged "facts" get foot-balled all over the public internet for the benefit of the folks posting

Never said corn had more BTU's -- said it wasn't significantly different
17% may or may not be significant to you - what it means to me is corn has to be 20% cheaper than pellets to be competitive in my boiler fuel bin

And what ever is in the bin has to heat my house for 20% less than the NG boiler that I simply set and forget.

as for the drama of burning inside out or "pop-corning" I would like to see some documentation on that. Corn burns over a pool of molten starch.

Also I would like to hear more about your theory about the slower air flow that's necessary to burn corn. Isn't this the same as saying pellets take more combustion air - and they don't. They burn faster than corn with the same amount of combustion air.

I am not looking for a pi$$ing match here Mike-- just would like to see where you arrived at your facts. I am not a factory trained salesman like you. I just want to learn how I became so delusional!

Sting said:

Never said corn had more BTU's -- said it wasn't significantly different ...17% may or may not be significant to you

.......I just want to learn how I became so delusional!

IMO, an 18% difference (that's the correct math based on the 5607 and 6800 figures) is VERY significant.

How you became so delusional?? Well, you see........oh, never mind. :zip:

Sting said:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel-value-calculator.pdf
If my math hasn't failed me again
These alleged "facts" get foot-balled all over the public internet for the benefit of the folks posting
Never said corn had more BTU's -- said it wasn't significantly different
17% may or may not be significant to you - what it means to me is corn has to be 20% cheaper than pellets to be competitive in my boiler fuel bin
And what ever is in the bin has to heat my house for 20% less than the NG boiler that I simply set and forget.
as for the drama of burning inside out or "pop-corning" I would like to see some documentation on that. Corn burns over a pool of molten starch.
Also I would like to hear more about your theory about the slower air flow that's necessary to burn corn. Isn't this the same as saying pellets take more combustion air - and they don't. They burn faster than corn with the same amount of combustion air.
I am not looking for a pi$$ing match here Mike-- just would like to see where you arrived at your facts. I am not a factory trained salesman like you.

ok , no i do not wish to get into an arguement with you in this , i consider corn to be a very good fuel to heat your home with (we build 2 multifuel models specifically engineered to burn corn as well as pellets, or switchgrass should you feel the urge.

corn BTU's are bantied about more than any other fuel source than ive ever seen (and ive been at this a long time) anywhere from 6K to *8K BUt per lb, pellets are rated at 8500 (give or take a few hundred btu per lb) ive yet to see a credible "actual" btu rating for corn at a certain moisture level (most corn stove manufaturers rate higher and supply links , while others show lower)

as for drama , the corn does not "pop" like "jiffy pop" it splits open, this happens when its heated enough to cause the casing to split open, corn is a natural "unedited" fuel other than drying which takes it out of its natural state, corn designed by nature is a grain which has a high degree of survivability in natural conditions to fire. the shucks (leaves outside of the grain itself) tend to ward off fire, the grain will grow a new plant even if dried out. its meant to survive a brush fire and propigate. to sucessfully burn corn one must realise that you have to defeat nature. a surface hot enough to cause the case to split open (not necessarily pop like jiffy pop where oil is added) but rend the skin to allow the more flammable inner parts of the kernal to burn is necessary to completely combust the kernal. a stirring rod is helpful with this as it gets red hot and cracks the corn for easier burning. the inner portion of the kernal while hard is not as dense as a pellet and with less density a quicker "per kernal" burn is realised. so remembering air balance to the fuel present is key to a clean burn , lower air volume is best comparitively to pellets for the cleanest burn. this also allows air heated by the fire to remain inside the unit longer to allow a more complete absorbtion into the heat exchangers of the unit, so less air is good. more airflow on the contrary does not allow heat to transfer into the integral portions of the burn pot and does not as readily "crack" the corn resulting in a more incomplete burn. i look at the coal bed in a corn stove to be similar to a "coke fire" or forge when air is not being pumped in , a bunch of lumps or bits (kernals) rather than an amorphous mass. lower speed air showing what pellet burners would call a "lazy" fire is a clean sustainable corn fire.

one thing is certain , different stove manufacturers have different theories, ous is to burn slow and stir , others want an intense flame, personally i think a fast intense flame wastes energy at the exchanger end , it doesnt need to happen that way.if i could show you it would make sense (should you ever find yourself coming to virginia , let me know , my door is open, be happy to have you consider it an open invitation (but i need to know ahead, pm me). dont get me wrong , i love to play with corn stoves (much more interesting than pellet) and we do sell stoves that are made to burn corn so bias would be towards more heat to sell units right?

be forwarned though , im not a salesman , i am the senior technician for ESW, ive never (nor will i ever) worked in sales, not my rice bowl, im a "dirty hands" type. i spend my summers sitting in front of one stove after another watching it burn , in winter i help folks who call in with questions. ive seen thousands of stoves burn in my time , will see thousands more, aint my first rodeo

If you get stuck with a batch of wood pellets that pretty bad burners, would adding some corn help in getting them to burn better?

I am looking a a new source of pellets, but if they are bad, will need a plan B, as I will have 1 ton of them.

Running a Big E stove, and very happy with it.

I use pellets to help the corn to burn. Large side benefit is that pellets in the corn reduce the tenacity of the starch clinker in my non agitating custom made pot

Never thought of it the other way around :)

travlnusa said:
If you get stuck with a batch of wood pellets that pretty bad burners, would adding some corn help in getting them to burn better?

I am looking a a new source of pellets, but if they are bad, will need a plan B, as I will have 1 ton of them.

naah wouldnt help store em , when you find a good source for good pellets mix your bad ones in and get rid of them gradually that way, or just pitch em.

Sting said:
I use pellets to help the corn to burn. Large side benefit is that pellets in the corn reduce the tenacity of the starch clinker in my non agitating custom made pot

Never thought of it the other way around :)

That is exactly what I do. Another corn trick is to dump a cup of cheap corn oil in each hopper full. I don't know what it will do for bad pellets but with corn it works well enough. I too built my own pot since the Countryside pot is too small for my liking. You probably would be better mixing them with good pellets until you find the mix that would work for you.

travlnusa said:

Any amount of corn mixed with the pellets isn't recommended by Breckwell. Just ask Eric.

Mix them with good pellets they will burn. Start with a low percentage and move up till the burn gets to were you don't like it and go back abit!

I usually start with 25% bad and 75% good. (I use a scoop and go 3 scoops good to 1 bad scoop and mix them good. Them go 3 good to 1½ bad and so on!)

jay

Here is some stuff on corn:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/buying_and_storing_corn

Basically, it starts out at about 8K BTU per lb, but ends up quite a bit lower due to moisture content.....

It can be a good fuel for some, but with the price run-up a few years ago it fell out of favor. If it can be purchased by the end user for about $200 a ton or so, it could be competitive with pellets.

The farmers around here are not big growers of corn, yet there are a few who have started to sell 20 and 40 lbs bags of the stuff for heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.