Corner Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
We are finally going to finish our basement...without a doubt I will need to add another stove to the house. Likely a corner install with a window on the left and a slider on the right. My question is twofold. 1) Is this possible and 2) What are the clearance requirements? thx in advance.

PAV1 said:
We are finally going to finish our basement...without a doubt I will need to add another stove to the house. Likely a corner install with a window on the left and a slider on the right. My question is twofold. 1) Is this possible and 2) What are the clearance requirements? thx in advance.

Clearance is always governed by the stove makers instructions.

SmokeyTheBear said:
PAV1 said:

NOT necessarily so. Local codes can dictate the minimum distance from a heating source exhaust to an openable window or door. The stove makers recomendations do not usually apply in such cases. Since the OP specifically mentioned the window and slider, there may be issues there. In one installation that I did, I was able to modify the slider to open to the opposite side, which moved the opening of the door an additional three feet from the stove vent.

I have a corner install with a window within a foot and the slider within 4 feet.
I went out with the flue, then up 12 feet to clear the roof line.

Waterbug said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
PAV1 said:

NOT necessarily so. Local codes can dictate the minimum distance from a heating source exhaust to an openable window or door. The stove makers recomendations do not usually apply in such cases. Since the OP specifically mentioned the window and slider, there may be issues there. In one installation that I did, I was able to modify the slider to open to the opposite side, which moved the opening of the door an additional three feet from the stove vent.

They can be more restrictive provided the state allows them to be.

Not all towns even in states that allow a more restrictive local codes may be allowed to make changes (certain states do not allow all jurisdictions home rule).

So the answer is contact your code enforcement folks for a final word, however you can not reduce the clearances below the manufacturer's recommendations because that was what the unit was tested to. So if your town says you can have an operable door within 4 feet of the stoves exhaust and the manufacturer says it must be further away than that the manufacturer's recommendation applies. Moving the stove closer than that voids the certifications. So you start with the manufactures manual and talk to the local code enforcement folks. The normal procedure by most code enforcement folks is to ask for a copy of the manufacturer's manual, they then use that for their inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.