Corner or not a Corner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soopah 27

Nov 7, 2007
Southwestern Ontario
Hi Guys,

I'm planning a corner install of PE Alderlea, with one twist...

We have 2 6" round heating ducts running up through the corner where I plan to have stove. installed.

I have covered the heating ducts with 1/2" drywall. This leaves me with a 3-sided, angled corner.

So, instead of having a straight 90* corner, I have a 21" flat area where the apex of my corner should be.

1) Any ideas on how I should measure for floor protector & clearances?

No one install procedure seems to fit... Can they be combined?

Planned floor protection will be 1/2" cement board, with tile on top. Cement board will be set on existing wood subfloor and new 3/4" pine will be installed over the rest of the floor - so I will be able to expand hearth BEYOND dimensions given for the corner install in the diagram.

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the back corner to wall, and pipe centerline measurements are honored. Assuming you are using double-wall pipe, this should be fine.

Take a look at Tom's installation diagram, it should help.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/cpacaldert5.htm

Which PE Alderlea is it t-? ? Could you please describe the instigation you want a little more? Which way will it face? Single or bubble wall flue pipe? What else is within 9 feet of the corner? What room is it going into? How are you going to vent the vent stove into a chimney, liner, or what. Where in the roof is the vent exit? Photos of any of the above will help.

Here is a link to the owners manual or copy and paste this address into a address window as this site has a bug in ).pdf

http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/manuals/T4-5-6-010507-28(W).pdf

Soopah 27 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm planning a corner install of PE Alderlea, with one twist...

We have 2 6" round heating ducts running up through the corner where I plan to have stove. installed.

I have covered the heating ducts with 1/2" drywall. This leaves me with a 3-sided, angled corner.

So, instead of having a straight 90* corner, I have a 21" flat area where the apex of my corner should be.

1) Any ideas on how I should measure for floor protector & clearances?

No one install procedure seems to fit... Can they be combined?

Planned floor protection will be 1/2" cement board, with tile on top. Cement board will be set on existing wood subfloor and new 3/4" pine will be installed over the rest of the floor - so I will be able to expand hearth BEYOND dimensions given for the corner install in the diagram.

I have the same setup, 45* install with a small flat wall at the back.
Begreen is right. Honour the min distances and the flat wall at the back.

4" is all that is required from corner of the stove to wall...that will put centerline of doublewall right at 18". As long as you have 5" at the back of stove to the small flat wall you are good.

The flat ball at the back has no bearing on the ember protection...you don't even NEED the cement board, but if it brings you flush with the pine floor all the better. IMO if you have the space bring the tile out farther than need for cleanliness sake.

Soopah, you'll have an installation that needs to comply with both flat backwall and corner clearance requirements. The backplate of your Alderlea will need to be spaced from your 21" backwall as shown in dimension A on our clearance chart at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/cpacaldert5.htm (5" with double-wall connector), AND the rear corners will need to be spaced from the two walls that formed the original corner as shown in Dimension G (4" with double-wall connector). Since your corner-spanning wall is narrower than the stove, it seems to me the corner clearances will be the operant ones.

To figure your hearth, cut out a cardboard template measuring 25" x 25" (the size of the stove) and place it in the corner, 4" (for double-wall) from each of the two angled walls. If the back edge of the template isn't 5" from your corner-spanning backwall, move the template forward until it is. Your floor protection will need to be 34" wide, and extend into the room 16" beyond the front edge of your template. If you're in Elk's code jurisdiction, make that 18".

Yep,

Stove will have a double-wall connector & be installed like corner installation, with the back of the stove parallel to the 21" flat.

I had made the template as Tom suggested previously & here's what I got.

Dim A = 11" to flat back wall
Dim G = 6.5" to corner

I think that will work. :)

I was worried that I may have to conform to the ALCOVE clearances.

The installer is coming today to measure up & I was getting paranoid about the install not fitting neatly into one specific category.

Now I'm read for him... :vampire:

Thanks,

Attachments

• hearthroom.gif
    hearthroom.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 315
If you’re in Elk’s code jurisdiction, make that 18”.

he lives in Canada and it been 18" there for years and there is no 16" door clearance in canada

elkimmeg said:
If you’re in Elk’s code jurisdiction, make that 18”.

he lives in Canada and it been 18" there for years and there is no 16" door clearance in canada

Yeah, but I'm from Mass... Can I get a discount??

Just kidding - per recommendation earlier, plan to go 18++

Soopah 27 said:
The installer is coming today to measure up & I was getting paranoid about the install not fitting neatly into one specific category.

Now I'm read for him... :vampire:

Thanks,

SUCCESS!

The installer just left - Thanks - Everything was just as recommended above. Installer had NO ISSUES with the installation, as planned.

So, we should be ready to burn by Christmas.

...If we have any money left for firewood.

Alderlea T-5 with 19' chimney & 5' ultrablack: $5041 :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.