Correct Flu Temp for an NC30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dboone

Nov 22, 2008
Western Missouri
I know there are some other threads about like this, but it seems like everyones situations & setups are always a little different. I just installed a Condar probe thermometer about 20" above the stove top into the 6" single wall pipe. When first firing up I will sometimes see spikes of up to 1000 F. If that happens I try to quickly calm it down by temporarily shutting off the air completely. After a little while it will then start to drop down to 400 - 600. At the moment it is at 450 which is about 1 hr after reloading this morning. I struggle to get a meaningful stovetop temp since I have a blower running most of the time. If I put the thermometer on the stovetop the moving air tends to distort the actual temp. I have a magnetic thermometer on the side towards the top and it is at also at 450 right now. Since the black pipe hooks into a masonary tile flu I want to make sure the temps are in a normal range. Does this sound about normal to you?

Don't forget, when you are "shutting the air completely", you are really allowing the secondary air to take over (can't control that air). That's the way the stove is designed to run. I have the same stove, and I have the air open for the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to get up to temp (anywhere from 300-600) with the magnetic thermometer about 10 inches up on the single wall pipe), and then I "shut the air completely" to let secondary burn take over. In the past couple of years, I left the air control open 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch or so, as I didn't trust the secondary air to provide enough for combustion, but now I'm burning nearly fully seasoned wood, and I find that I can close it all the way down and get a good burn.

Thanks! That is very good to know. I thought that if you closed it completely it would eventually smoother the fire. Being in my first year of this I don't have my wood as seasoned as I hope to next year. Next year maybe I can increase my heat output & the burn times by shutting it off completely.

I never close down the air all the way on my 30. I usually only ever close it down to about 20%-25%. Pushing the air lever all the way in tends to cut the air back a little bit too much, and the secondary combustion dies out. As you play with it more, you'll find the right cruising location for your setup.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.