Q&A Correct Installation of Jotul gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi, we just purchased a Jotul Allagash natural gas stove to heat a 600 sq. ft. bedroom addtion. My husband installed the stove and a plumber ran the line and hooked up the stove. My husband built the addition as is pretty good with most things but since this is the first thing of this type, I want to make sure he did it right and it is safe. The stove is a direct vent with a stovepipe that rises three feet above the stove before it exits through the wall with the recommended Duravent parts. He did use furnace cement between the pipe/vent parts but I think he only applied it to the outer pipe and not the inner pipe. Everything seems right and I am having the plumber come back and check for CO leaks along the stove and pipe. If no leaks are found - does this mean it is installed and venting correctly?

My second question is this: the manual for our stove requires 4" or more clearance from the back of the stove to the combustible wall (drywall) behind it for proper air circulation. When the stove is running and hot, the wall behind the stove at one point (directly behind where the stovepipe connects to the stove) is very hot, not so hot that I can't leave my hand/arm against the wall without getting burned, but pretty toasty. I am concerned about fire but the person at the dealership where we bought the stove said it would have to get a lot hotter than that for a really long time for the wall to combust. We are using this stove as the primary source of heat in this addition so it is going to stay hot most of the time. What are your thoughts on this?

Answer:

The wall can get quite hot to the touch..even too hot to touch and still be well within the bounds of safety. Also, as the outside temperature gets colder, the wall will not heat up as much. This part sounds OK.

As far as the venting, Duravent pipe seals quite tightly together. Some installers use a silicone caulk for an extra measure of sealing, but if it's not specified and insisted upon in the instruction, then you should be ok.
If it operates correctly and no leaks are found you seem to be in business! Enjoy your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.