(Correct?) Log Length in Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I'm in the process of ordering wood that I didn't get the time to cut myself this spring/summer. I have a VC defiant encore, older model #0028 which I believe takes 18".. maybe 20". He has 16" available, but is willing to cut 18" if I need it.

I'm thinking that I should go with the 18".. more fuel, less loading of the stove, more consistent heat, longer burn time, etc. It might mean its another week before he can deliver, but its probably worth it. I'd just like to get some thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Bernd

I think you're right: go with the biggest wood that will fit in your stove. Just bear in mind that unless he's using a firewood processor, there will be some variation in length, so don't order 18" wood if the max length your stove will take is 18." I think 2" of slop is more than enough.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Encore was advertised as taking 20" logs, so I'd agree with Eric that you should be fine with 18" I don't think I would try to shoot for the maximum length for any stove.... better to have that extra "wiggle room", and with 2" you should be fine.

the 0028 Defiant Encore is ecactly the same as todays Encore 18" logs work fine as will 16" trhe 20 " fits but top loaging it has to be tipped and finessed in 18" bottom
16" top if using top loading works for me

Even though I cut my own wood I still end up with peices that are any where from 8" to 20. My stove is advertised as 16 max.. I make em fit!

elkimmeg said:
the 0028 Defiant Encore is ecactly the same as todays Encore 18" logs work fine as will 16" trhe 20 " fits but top loaging it has to be tipped and finessed in 18" bottom
16" top if using top loading works for me

What do you mean "16" top if using top loading" - is the firebox tapered? I've recut the pile to 18" and been making my new stuff the same, within fairly narrow specs, I would say very little of my wood is less than 17" or more than 19" - I reject anything over about 19.5" and put it in my "recut rack" - don't tell me I should have been cutting shorter (please...)

Gooserider

This was a deciding factor for me with the Jotul. So far it's paid off, no overlength wood last season, yea! This year I will be pushing it a bit. A few of the big rounds I scrounged are pushing 22"+. I'm splitting smaller this year both to facilitate drying and assist burning. Those long pieces will be for the smaller fires in autumn and spring. I can get in about 4 small splits, criss-crossed diagonally on top of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.