Correct size of Whitfield Advantage 3 door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceshack

Nov 20, 2008
Northern Canada
Hi again - love this site. Just starting to burn pellets again this year and noticed a smokey smell conming from the stove. I have replaced and resealed the exhaust and thought I would replace the door gasket as well. I have a Whitfield advantage 3 - 1993 and thought the replacement gasket was 1/2 inch round but the gasket I took out looks much larger. Before I replace I was wondering if anyone can confirm the correct gasket size? The gasket I took out was held in by alot of silicone and it was quite a chore to remove all the old gunk. I dont want to have to do it again if I use the wrong size gasket.

Any help appreciated

I would say check your owners manual to see if it tells you replacement parts.

You could always call Whitfield too.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi,
I checked the owners manual - it indicated 1/2 inch firm. i don't know what the "firm" stands for and interestingly, ended up buying both 1/2 inch round gasket and 5/8. I then removed the door and dry fitted the 1/2 inch (without cement) and re-installed the door. The results were not good. After dry fitting the 5/8 round it was clear that for my stove, this was the one that fit much better. Have completed the job and am happy with the results. I bought the stove second hand and figure perhaps the gasket has been replaced at least once already and someone used the 5/8 inch stuff and now thats what works best.(?)

Thanks for the reply

Iceshack, Glad you got the right one. Good idea dry fitting too.

Mine takes the 5/8" also.

Happy Burning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.