Corrected Squeal noise on my Big E stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travlnusa

Nov 8, 2008
NW Wisconsin
I could not take the noise any longer, so I tore into the stove to see what is the source of the noise.

I took the sides off and discovered the noise is coming from the exhaust fan. I took that out and was SHOCKED as to how much crap had built up on the fan blades and behind the fan itself. After cleaning it, it filled a 1/3 measuring cup.

I also was surprised how much dust had built up in the squirrel cage blower motor. Got that all cleaned up.

I am guessing that the build up was causing the fan to run unbalanced, this making the squeal noise. That is the only thing I really changed.

My stove is now sooooooo quiet!!!!

My question is why so much exhaust buildup? My pellets? Just the way it is? User error with damper? Any ideas?

Also, as Eric has said here before, be very careful when you take the exhaust motor off. The gasket is weaker than wet Kleenex tissues.

PS, Eric, I need to order a few gaskets. Do you have anything stronger? Would cork just burn up?

I just searched and snipped this from an older thread. I haven't tried it myself yet but I intend to when the time comes.

rap69ri said:
I purchased a square sheet of exhaust manifold gasket from NAPA for about $10. The sheet is large enough to make gaskets for the fans and burnpot for 3 years. The material can be cut with shears, but a scroll saw does a much neater job. I have tested this material on several stoves and haven't had any problems with leaks.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to do the search for me.

Off to the auto parts store tomorrow and I do have the scroll saw.

Thanks again.

Now, to figure out what am I doing that caused that much build up

All the gaskets I have are the standard ones from Breckwell. As long as the gasket paper from NAPA is rated to 400+ degrees it "should" be ok but keep an eye on it and check it so often.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.