Cost for liner and installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorse

Dec 22, 2010
South Central PA
We need a liner put in our chimney. The tiles will have to be removed for the 6" round liner to be installed.

Our chimney is about 22-23 tall (that's how much liner will be necessary). The man who talked to me said he's insulate the entire liner and bring the stainless through the thimble to the wall, making sure all connections were air tight. He needs to remove the chimney tiles in order to get the insulated liner in.

Anyone have any idea on what a reasonable price is for doing this? The chimney has no bends (straight shot). I found the liners on line and a kit for 30' of 6" liner (with tee, all connectors, and collar and rain caps) of this brand (Homesaver UltraPro) is about $700 (but no insulation). I've read that the labor will be about $60 per linear foot. Plus, we need short section (12" I think) of double walled pipe.

I plan on getting a couple estimates, but I was wondering... is $2000-$2500 anywhere in the ballpark?

I checked on the advertisement that is posted on Hearth for Rockford Chimney Supply, they have 6" x 30' kits for $520 or the Pro series which is the smooth wall for $675. If your only looking for 23 feet, I wouldn't over buy, and go with 25' and save yourself some money. What is the inside dimensions of your flue. A 6" liner OD will be around 6.25" and you can probably figure about another 1.5" for a 1/2" insulation blanket that runs $270. Tell them you saw their ad on this website, maybe get a discount, can't hurt. They advertise that you can do it yourself, if your handy, and don't mind getting on the roof. (save more money) Just make sure your comfortable doing it, maybe get yourself a helper. I saw that there is also a DIY video on how to install a liner and insulation. I would see what others on this site think about removing the existing tiles, just to insulate the liner, not sure if it would be worth the investment. Don't get me wrong, I think insulating is good, but at what cost.....Rockford also offers the pour down insulation that is a mixture of vermiculite and water ($74.99 a bag) that can be used when there is minimal space...save yourself some more money.

I ordered my 6"x25' off of ebay for almost half of what my nearest hearth store wanted for the same thing with free shipping. I'd have to find my receipt for an exact number.

I would charge about $2000-$2300 installed for a 6" insulated chimney liner that required tile removal. Whole job only. Wouldnt install a liner bought elsewhere (at least unless we got really slow for some reason)

CodyWayne718 said:
I ordered my 6"x25' off of ebay for almost half of what my nearest hearth store wanted for the same thing with free shipping. I'd have to find my receipt for an exact number.

Tell us more Cody.

redhorse said:
We need a liner put in our chimney. The tiles will have to be removed for the 6" round liner to be installed.

Our chimney is about 22-23 tall (that's how much liner will be necessary). The man who talked to me said he's insulate the entire liner and bring the stainless through the thimble to the wall, making sure all connections were air tight. He needs to remove the chimney tiles in order to get the insulated liner in.

Anyone have any idea on what a reasonable price is for doing this? The chimney has no bends (straight shot). I found the liners on line and a kit for 30' of 6" liner (with tee, all connectors, and collar and rain caps) of this brand (Homesaver UltraPro) is about $700 (but no insulation). I've read that the labor will be about $60 per linear foot. Plus, we need short section (12" I think) of double walled pipe.

I plan on getting a couple estimates, but I was wondering... is $2000-$2500 anywhere in the ballpark?

Had a similar size liner installed here plus they replaced the black pipe from the stove to the SS liner and broke out the clay liner for $2600.00 complete.. Insurance paid as it was determined that a chimney fire cracked my clay liner..

Ray

Ray, I'd love to get our insurance to pay for it, but they paid for the first liner -- chimney fire cracked the tiles -- Well, at least that's what the "so-called" professionals that installed the first liner told us. (For those that don't know, they installed a liner, no insulation, no solid connections from the liner to the stove, no terminal cap, and they put the thimble in running significantly downhill). The guy who was here to check on putting in the liner did say it appears as if a fire may have cracked the thimble, but I don't think he's planning on putting a thimble back in (originally there was no thimble there, but it's a concrete lined hole in a solid brick wall). He's going to run stainless through the wall to the stove.

This is something we need to hire done; not too handy with anything like this, plus don't like heights, plus don't really have the time. Plus, isn't that why we all work anyway... to spend money? :)

Anyone have a preference on the poured insulation versus the wrapped? I'm wondering if we went with poured if we could get by with not knocking out the tiles...

redhorse said:
Ray, I'd love to get our insurance to pay for it, but they paid for the first liner -- chimney fire cracked the tiles -- Well, at least that's what the "so-called" professionals that installed the first liner told us. (For those that don't know, they installed a liner, no insulation, no solid connections from the liner to the stove, no terminal cap, and they put the thimble in running significantly downhill). The guy who was here to check on putting in the liner did say it appears as if a fire may have cracked the thimble, but I don't think he's planning on putting a thimble back in (originally there was no thimble there, but it's a concrete lined hole in a solid brick wall). He's going to run stainless through the wall to the stove.

This is something we need to hire done; not too handy with anything like this, plus don't like heights, plus don't really have the time. Plus, isn't that why we all work anyway... to spend money? :)

Anyone have a preference on the poured insulation versus the wrapped? I'm wondering if we went with poured if we could get by with not knocking out the tiles...

What is the inside measurement on your tile?

Ray

I had a 6 inch rigid liner installed with 1/2 inch insulation about 18 ft above the thimble (which they cut a new one into my chimney so I could have a straight horizontal stove pipe) and another few feet below to the cleanout. They put a new cleanout door and knocked out the clay tile too.

I don't have the invoice in front of me, but it was about $2100 in time and material. It should have been more - those guys (3 total) worked all day hard and did a real quality job.

If you have a straight shot, consider a smooth rigid liner.

Good luck,
Bill

2000-2500 all day. Liner kit, 2 tees, cap, top plate = @600-650. Insy blanket = @250. dw pipe = @75. Smashing tiles is almost an all day job: it's heavy, messy, and requires one to tiptoe on the top of the chimney w/ many feet of steel rod attached to a heavy high hp drill dangling a weight... and if that thing decides to grab, hang on! Labor is your biggest cost in this scenario: at least $1k.

raybonz said:
What is the inside measurement on your tile?
Ray

The person who was here said it was 8x12 (but that meant is was actually closer to 7x11).

leeave96 said:
If you have a straight shot, consider a smooth rigid liner.

Good luck,
Bill

That's what's in there now. I probably need to get more quotes from different people, but most of the companies around here are owned by one guy (and it was his people that put in the first liner). I'm having trouble finding what I consider to be a reputable company -- the three I have found all use the Homesaver liner (and I don't know if it comes in rigid or not).

Ray,
You might try Olympia Chimney Supply, they are out of Scranton, PA, if that is near by.

summit said:
2000-2500 all day. Liner kit, 2 tees, cap, top plate = @600-650. Insy blanket = @250. dw pipe = @75. Smashing tiles is almost an all day job: it's heavy, messy, and requires one to tiptoe on the top of the chimney w/ many feet of steel rod attached to a heavy high hp drill dangling a weight... and if that thing decides to grab, hang on! Labor is your biggest cost in this scenario: at least $1k.

Had a guy call in sick yesterday, so we had to do a tile smash job. I was down below (I am the boss anyways) clearing tile chunks out of the cleanout door while my installer was up on top of the chimney. I heard the old "%$#&#$&^#&", but no sound of a falling body, so I stroll outside to check on him. Looked like Holyfield hit him with a haymaker. The drill caught. Of course, I just told him to put some snow on and and to not put his face or his privates at drill level.

Loco Gringo said:
CodyWayne718 said:

Tell us more Cody.

I'd have to find my receipt from my chimney guy as well but I didn't pay no more than 600 dollars for liner and install, granted its not insulated, jus the top plate for now. The guy had to cut an jack hammer my masonary to get the liner up too. He only charged me 175 but I wrote him a check for more than that.

Ask your installer if installing Simpson Duraliner is an option. If there is a 7x7" throat, it may work out and save the cost and hassle of busting out the tiles. It's 2 ply, preinsulated for zero-clearance to masonry.

BeGreen said:
Ask your installer if installing Simpson Duraliner is an option. If there is a 7x7" throat, it may work out and save the cost and hassle of busting out the tiles. It's 2 ply, preinsulated for zero-clearance to masonry.

Thanks. Will do. I checked out the Simpson Duraliner and it sure looks like it would work for us.

double-d said:
Ray,
You might try Olympia Chimney Supply, they are out of Scranton, PA, if that is near by.

We're in south central PA near Gettysburg.

Franks said:
summit said:

Had a guy call in sick yesterday, so we had to do a tile smash job. I was down below (I am the boss anyways) clearing tile chunks out of the cleanout door while my installer was up on top of the chimney. I heard the old "%$#&#$&^#&", but no sound of a falling body, so I stroll outside to check on him. Looked like Holyfield hit him with a haymaker. The drill caught. Of course, I just told him to put some snow on and and to not put his face or his privates at drill level.

It is amazing what a body harness and lanyard will do should someone get hit with a Holyfield haymaker. Sorry, safety geek observation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-x-25-Simpson-...914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518dd806aa

I think mine was a little cheaper than this one, I know my cap wasnt screened like the one in the link but my chimney guy screened it for me at the start of this season cause over the spring/summer birds had clogged it up pretty good.
I jus searched the yellow pages an had a guy quote me 175 over the phone. It can be done for a lot cheaper than 2k.

raybonz said:
Had a similar size liner installed here plus they replaced the black pipe from the stove to the SS liner and broke out the clay liner for $2600.00 complete.. Insurance paid as it was determined that a chimney fire cracked my clay liner..

Ray

Quote came today: $2600 (and that includes 2 feet of double walled stove pipe -- that stuff is pricey -- something like$50 a foot!)

As I assumed, he is not going to redo the thimble. I don't know if he's going to remove and insulate the pipe coming through the wall or leave it in there cracked. I guess I should call and find out.

Remkel said:
Franks said:
summit said:

It is amazing what a body harness and lanyard will do should someone get hit with a Holyfield haymaker. Sorry, safety geek observation.

He wears his climbing gear (or is supposed to) whenever his feet or more than 10' off the ground. If he falls less than 10' and gets hurt, then I say he is a girly man (who could crush my throat with one hand)

CodyWayne718 said:
Loco Gringo said:
CodyWayne718 said:

Tell us more Cody.

I'd have to find my receipt from my chimney guy as well but I didn't pay no more than 600 dollars for liner and install, granted its not insulated, jus the top plate for now. The guy had to cut an jack hammer my masonary to get the liner up too. He only charged me 175 but I wrote him a check for more than that.

Would this be your seller? http://cgi.ebay.com/Chimney-Liner-K...550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e6625126

The one I posted is the same seller I got mine from I do believe. I searched all my ebay stuff an couldn't find it in my bought sections. Guess its been too long since I have bought anything off ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies.