Cost for professional cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marster

Jan 13, 2008
S. Central Pa
Hi there,

With the heating season right around the corner, I need to have my Breckwell P23FS cleaned. I was going to clean myself but the dealer I bought from, suggested I have it done professionally the first time.......just so I can see everything that needs done.

My guestion is: what is the going cost for this service?

And......... Can I do it myself? I am very handy but I was concerned maybe he would do more than I may realize. Any suggestions as to what all needs to be done?

Thanks,
Marster

I called the people i bought the stove from ... Higgins ... $200 to clean my Harman XXV and the vent pipes. Good luck.

I believe that Breckwell has some pretty detailed cleaning directions in their manuals so if you are handy and willing I don't see why you couldn't do it yourself. If you do a search here for cleaning you'll also find tons of suggestions for things like using a blower to clean the fins on your fans. Not sure what Breckwell's recommendations are about replacing gaskets or oiling but you might want to look into that and take care of it during your cleaning.

I have a guy in my area clean mine for about $150.00. All he does is install and clean pellet stoves.

Not only does he clean it, he breaks down the stove to make sure everything is in working order: fan, ignition, etc.

Well worth it to me. I can clean the stove pretty well, but I don't know everything about keeping it in great working order.

I had the guy that installed my Harmen Accentra insert clean it "professionally". Paid a guy 160 bucks to come tell me it was the cleanest stove he has ever seen. Guess I am a bit of a stove cleaning Nazi. Live and learn. But hey he did give me a new back vent brush for "free".

Marster said:
Hi there,

With the heating season right around the corner, I need to have my Breckwell P23FS cleaned......
Can I do it myself? I am very handy but I was concerned maybe he would do more than I
may realize. Any suggestions as to what all needs to be done?

Hell yeah, you can definitely clean it yourself. My suggestion:
put your wallet back in your pocket and break out the Breckwell manual and read up.
If there's something that isn't clear, post up on the forum. You'll do fine I'm sure.

CygnusX1 said:
I have a guy in my area clean mine for about $150.00. All he does is install and clean pellet stoves.

Not only does he clean it, he breaks down the stove to make sure everything is in working order: fan, ignition, etc.

Well worth it to me. I can clean the stove pretty well, but I don't know everything about keeping it in great working order.

Do you mind givung us the contact for this guy?

Thanks for all the replies. I read my manual and thought the same thing that I could do it myself. I had told the dealer this and they still insist I need to watch a professional do it. They claim he does more than what the manual states. I find that hard to believe since there really isnt all that much to the stove. Am I being scammed?

When my unit was installed, the installer never put a "T" on it. At the time I questioned it and he said since it was a vertical install that he didnt need to put one on. I assume I would dissconnect and put a coffee can under it when cleaning upright pipe????? That's the only way I can think to do it.

This dealer is backed up on installs and cleaning......They only have one guy doing it all. I figured if I did it myself, I would just be saving them time.....but they still insist on having it done by them. Does it effect the warrenty or something????

Also, if a part fails within the 1yr warrenty peroid, the dealer will replace for free.....but i still have to pay a service charge, plus labor. Is this the way warrenty works on pellet stoves or is it the dealers choice?

Thanks again
Marster

Tristan said:
CygnusX1 said:

Do you mind givung us the contact for this guy?

Ron Messier at RLM Alternative Heating.
You can reach him at 508-317-7385

$300 for the stove, pipes, system diag. etc... I will be calling around though - $150-200 sounds better to me as long as the person in certified for the stove brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.