cost guide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
Back in the '90's somebody used to publish something called the "Complete Car Cost Guide". It evaluated pretty much every available model of car for ownership costs, taking into account purchase price, fuel economy, maintenance, insurance, durability, reliability and maybe some other aspects that I can't remember. Is anyone doing something similar today for stoves and fireplaces?

Nope.

Don't know of one for my kitchen range either. And there is one of them in every house in the country.

i disagree completely, i dont think he's way overthinking anything. its a great idea actually. there are so many thousands of posts and comments in the forums, but there is no good consolidated "consumer guide" for the masses.

Maybe petition consumer reports? Although I've heard they only sample from their readership so the ratings can be biased towards a particular segment of society.

In 2006, when we bought our Prius Consumers Reports and Edmunds were dissing the car badly. 2 yrs and millions of user miles later they did a complete 180 and loved the car. Go figure.

Last edited:
I believe the subscribers for Consumer Reports tend to be older white males. Although given that criteria, maybe it IS a good fit for woodstove purchasers, eh mods? ;lol (*ducks and runs*...)

It's a steel/cast/soapstone box with either secondary burn tubes or a cat. Other than that, every category you mention is dependent on the use by an educated or uneducated operator. It would be hard to quantify anything that can translate from person to person.

Back in the '90's somebody used to publish something called the "Complete Car Cost Guide". It evaluated pretty much every available model of car for ownership costs, taking into account purchase price, fuel economy, maintenance, insurance, durability, reliability and maybe some other aspects that I can't remember. Is anyone doing something similar today for stoves and fireplaces?

IMO such a guide would be superfluous because unlike motor vehicles which can change dramatically from year to year wood stoves change very little (if at all) from year to year so when buying a stove there is very little guess work involved. Also, if I've learned anything about stove buying practices from this board it is that people tend to buy based primarily on 2 factors - 1) the aesthetic preference of the wife 2) cost. And things like ease of maintenance and ease of use are non-factors.

Last edited:
You got that right!!

The conversation was:
me - I want a wood stove
her - the existing fireplace is ugly, ok lets get one
(go to store)
me - these 7 will fit
her - this is the only one that looks good

thats the stove we have today!
Of course thats before i knew about this forum and didnt look it up online. It does a good job, knowing more light have been nice, but wouldnt have effected any decision on my part.

Same goes for the wood shed:
Me: I want the wood covered outside, and the current little roof isnt good enough
her: ok
me: has to be about this big
her: here is what it looks like
I built it
She likes it

I planned for 4 cords, probably can hold about 5 cords of wood.... She is happy, I am happy

Reactions: Swedishchef
It's a steel/cast/soapstone box with either secondary burn tubes or a cat. Other than that, every category you mention is dependent on the use by an educated or uneducated operator. It would be hard to quantify anything that can translate from person to person.

EXACTLY. Burning truly dry wood and knowing how to operate the stove properly are 90% of the difference. If you had a ton of money you could test each stove with 30% moisture wood and an idiot filling it. That would be more worthwhile.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Hearth.com TV.

"Tonight on H.C TV, a cage match between cat and non-cat owners. Tune in next week for covered wood versus not covered. The Sthil vs. Husqvarna segment has been cancelled. One of them wouldn't start. And we can't tell you which one. A lawyer thing."

Reactions: Tyler
I want Myth Busters to repeatedly start the stove with the ash door open.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Reactions: jotulguy
i disagree completely, i dont think he's way overthinking anything. its a great idea actually. there are so many thousands of posts and comments in the forums, but there is no good consolidated "consumer guide" for the masses.

So what's stopping you from getting started on it?

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.