Cost of FREE Firewood?? was $31 for mine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
barneyfife - 28 February 2011 12:06 AM
I had a small ford ranger when we moved here 6 months ago, but that wasnt gonna cut it. Am now the owner of a 2008 dodge ram 2500 4 door long box with the hemi engine, it loves gas, but can haul lotsa wood, and its a football field long. Had to get a saw also. New Stihl 290. Does it ever end?

Have a 10x16x8 shed now, and its full, gotta build a bigger one this summer. Thinkin of 10x24x8.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/71905/

Seems Barney had to replace his perfectly good truck with a 'real mans' truck so I think right now his cost is about $10,254.85 / cord for his 'free wood' he's haulin.

OhioBurner© said:
SolarAndWood said:
Good luck working that deal out Dave. 90 miles is a long way to go for free firewood.

Your going to love this then, I just mapped my route on google my complete round trip for firewood (about 1.25 cords or so per trip) is 234miles

Before NY put a 50 mile limit on transport, I had about the same setup with our family's camp. The 50 mile limit got me to get out and find out what was within 5 or 10 miles of home. Saves a lot of wear and tear on both truck and trailer. On one of those trips back, I had just got up to highway speed and lost one of the trailer tires on my single axle trailer. That one incident let alone the rest of the wear and tear probably cost me more than I spent last year scrounging 30 cord.

SolarAndWood said:
OhioBurner© said:
SolarAndWood said:
Good luck working that deal out Dave. 90 miles is a long way to go for free firewood.

Your going to love this then, I just mapped my route on google my complete round trip for firewood (about 1.25 cords or so per trip) is 234miles

Before NY put a 50 mile limit on transport, I had about the same setup with our family's camp. The 50 mile limit got me to get out and find out what was within 5 or 10 miles of home. Saves a lot of wear and tear on both truck and trailer. On one of those trips back, I had just got up to highway speed and lost one of the trailer tires on my single axle trailer. That one incident let alone the rest of the wear and tear probably cost me more than I spent last year scrounging 30 cord.

**Before NY put a 50 mile limit on transport,**
What the heck is the: 50 MILE LIMIT ON TRANSPORT LAW?

bogydave said:

(12) "50 miles" shall mean a 50 mile linear distance determined by using the scale-bar on a New York State road map, atlas or gazetteer, from the point identified as the stated source of the firewood in question.

(b) Prohibition on Transport of Untreated Firewood into New York State.

No person shall transport, by any means, Untreated Firewood into New York State, for sale or use within the State from any location outside the State.

(c) Restrictions on Transport, Sale and/or Possession of Untreated Firewood within New York State.

(1) No person shall transport, sell or possess Untreated Firewood within the State unless its source is identified according to the criteria set forth in either subdivision (e) or (f) of this section.

(2) No person shall move Untreated Firewood produced, from trees that are grown in New York State, more than 50 miles from the source of the firewood.

(3) Dealers of New York-Sourced Firewood shall provide copies of the firewood source documentation, provided by the firewood producer, to all purchasers.

(4) Firewood producers shall maintain records of log or wood purchases or procurement to verify the sources of their firewood. Such records shall be made available for inspection by the department upon request.

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:

(12) "50 miles" shall mean a 50 mile linear distance determined by using the scale-bar on a New York State road map, atlas or gazetteer, from the point identified as the stated source of the firewood in question.

No person shall transport, by any means, Untreated Firewood into New York State, for sale or use within the State from any location outside the State.

(c) Restrictions on Transport, Sale and/or Possession of Untreated Firewood within New York State.

(1) No person shall transport, sell or possess Untreated Firewood within the State unless its source is identified according to the criteria set forth in either subdivision (e) or (f) of this section.

(2) No person shall move Untreated Firewood produced, from trees that are grown in New York State, more than 50 miles from the source of the firewood.

(3) Dealers of New York-Sourced Firewood shall provide copies of the firewood source documentation, provided by the firewood producer, to all purchasers.

(4) Firewood producers shall maintain records of log or wood purchases or procurement to verify the sources of their firewood. Such records shall be made available for inspection by the department upon request.

WOW, I knew I shouldn't have ask.
Firewood police. WOW

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:

Was this in response to EAB?

Cascade Failure said:
Was this in response to EAB?

I think it may have started with ALB but I'm not sure. In addition to the 50 mile rule, most of western NY is quarantined because of EAB.

My stompin' gorunds are a bit north of syracuse so yeah I am quite familiar with NY needing to put a law on everything you do. I can understand a specific quarantine though, ohio had specific areas quarantined until recently, now the whole state is so you can freely transport within the quarantined area. Had we had similar transport law here, it might have even effected my home purchase, but while I can I will bring home wood from the families farms.

WoodpileOCD said:
I had a small ford ranger when we moved here 6 months ago, but that wasnt gonna cut it. Am now the owner of a 2008 dodge ram 2500 4 door long box with the hemi engine, it loves gas, but can haul lotsa wood, and its a football field long.

Bah, my Ranger loves it. 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 5spd, 4x4 XLT Supercab Stepside bed with Towing and Offroad packages - that's a mouthful eh? I can only get 1/4 cord in the bed though so unless it's a short trip (under 10 miles) it isn't worth it since it would take too long to move all the wood. Once I get a trailer I should be able to comfortably do 1/4 cord in the truck and 1/2 cord in the trailer. I could probably do 3/4 cord in the trailer so long as it isn't super heavy/wet wood and that would make for a full cord per load.

I do get 20mpg regular driving and 16mpg or so hauling. I do a little better on the highway.

joecool85 said:
Bah, my Ranger loves it. 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 5spd, 4x4 XLT Supercab Stepside bed with Towing and Offroad packages - that's a mouthful eh? I can only get 1/4 cord in the bed though so unless it's a short trip (under 10 miles) it isn't worth it since it would take too long to move all the wood. Once I get a trailer I should be able to comfortably do 1/4 cord in the truck and 1/2 cord in the trailer. I could probably do 3/4 cord in the trailer so long as it isn't super heavy/wet wood and that would make for a full cord per load.

I do get 20mpg regular driving and 16mpg or so hauling. I do a little better on the highway.

My BIL actually sells firewood and uses a ranger, a 4cyl 5spd 2wd. Basically the most base model there is. He claims hwy in the mid 20's. Yeah he is one of those guys that sells firewood by the truckload (ranger) that is seasoned (well, seasoned since he cut it a couple days ago). But he does only cut dead or downed trees atleast, and he has a F150 but the 6' ranger bed holds the same amount roughly as his 5.5' F150 bed and still gets better mpg. Although I think it beats the crap out of the ranger to haul that much weight. With my longer drive I need to haul as much as possible so glad I got the '1-ton'. Sad thing is when I priced out a truck (built on the website) the Super Duty was actually cheaper than the F150, higher rebate on the Super Duty, and the SD had a lot of features I wanted and could not even get in the 150, let alone double the capacity. So why wouldnt I get the heavier truck? MPG? Sure some might freak out about MPG but compared to a half ton its really only like 2mpg different, not enough to give up so many features I wanted.

OhioBurner© said:
joecool85 said:

My BIL actually sells firewood and uses a ranger, a 4cyl 5spd 2wd. Basically the most base model there is. He claims hwy in the mid 20's. Yeah he is one of those guys that sells firewood by the truckload (ranger) that is seasoned (well, seasoned since he cut it a couple days ago). But he does only cut dead or downed trees atleast, and he has a F150 but the 6' ranger bed holds the same amount roughly as his 5.5' F150 bed and still gets better mpg. Although I think it beats the crap out of the ranger to haul that much weight. With my longer drive I need to haul as much as possible so glad I got the '1-ton'. Sad thing is when I priced out a truck (built on the website) the Super Duty was actually cheaper than the F150, higher rebate on the Super Duty, and the SD had a lot of features I wanted and could not even get in the 150, let alone double the capacity. So why wouldnt I get the heavier truck? MPG? Sure some might freak out about MPG but compared to a half ton its really only like 2mpg different, not enough to give up so many features I wanted.

My Ranger is rated at 1,640lbs max payload. Plenty for the amount of wood that goes in it. That said, it is hard on the clutch etc if I was doing it all the time. For a handful of cords a year for me its not a problem though. As a "firewood truck" for a business, I wouldn't recommend it.

WoodpileOCD said:
I had a small ford ranger when we moved here 6 months ago, but that wasnt gonna cut it. Am now the owner of a 2008 dodge ram 2500 4 door long box with the hemi engine, it loves gas, but can haul lotsa wood, and its a football field long. Had to get a saw also. New Stihl 290. Does it ever end?

Have a 10x16x8 shed now, and its full, gotta build a bigger one this summer. Thinkin of 10x24x8.

Seems Barney had to replace his perfectly good truck with a 'real mans' truck so I think right now his cost is about $10,254.85 / cord for his 'free wood' he's haulin.

Hmmm, by assuming i had a "perfectly good truck", you must have driven in my 1986, 2 wheel drive, 250,000 km, leaky valve cover, blown power steering pump, air conditioner nfg, clutch slippin, ball joints worn out, tires about 20 percent left, and my new lab puppy chewed half way thru the steering wheel truck. I wasnt real comfortable taking it 10 miles in the bush, and then trying to get out in case of mechanical problems. I think by upgrading my truck, i should be trouble free for the rest of my days. Just newly retired, so its probably gonna be the last vehicle i get, so might as well have one that will do the job i need it to for the foreseeable future.

I couldnt see getting myself another ranger if i was going to get into this wood hauling game. It's about a 60 minute round trip, so I thought i may as well make 1 trip into the bush, instead of 2 trips with a new ranger. And as for a "real mans truck" nah, just wanted a truck that will haul the wife, grandkids, and the dog, and some wood.

2008 dodge owner

WoodpileOCD said:

Using that logic, my truck and trailer cost me $820,388.80 and counting...

barneyfife said:
Hmmm, by assuming i had a "perfectly good truck", you must have driven in my 1986, 2 wheel drive, 250,000 km, leaky valve cover, blown power steering pump, air conditioner nfg, clutch slippin, ball joints worn out, tires about 20 percent left, and my new lab puppy chewed half way thru the steering wheel truck. I wasnt real comfortable taking it 10 miles in the bush, and then trying to get out in case of mechanical problems. I think by upgrading my truck, i should be trouble free for the rest of my days. Just newly retired, so its probably gonna be the last vehicle i get, so might as well have one that will do the job i need it to for the foreseeable future.

I couldnt see getting myself another ranger if i was going to get into this wood hauling game. It's about a 60 minute round trip, so I thought i may as well make 1 trip into the bush, instead of 2 trips with a new ranger. And as for a "real mans truck" nah, just wanted a truck that will haul the wife, grandkids, and the dog, and some wood.

2008 dodge owner

Sounds like you made a good decision given that you needed another rig anyway. I would have done the same except I would have gone for a diesel F350.

barneyfife said:
WoodpileOCD said:

2008 dodge owner

Nah, Barney, just livin' by the creed "Never pass up the chance at a cheap shot" :) No judgement meant. Just a little tweak in a thread on 'free' firewood. :blank:

With all the talk about trucks, I forgot to add in vehicle insurance, driver license, vehicle registration, wear & tear on the truck, trailer, tires, bearings etc.
Maybe "free" here is closer to $61/cord.
In the end I think I'm still ahead, warmer house than when I run the furnace, cheaper than the winter monthly gas bill
(figuring 1 cord/month) Saving about $150 to $200 every month (depending on the weather) on nat gas.
One more thing, so far, the saving are tax free money. :)
Didn't add in wood shed cost. But looking and admiring a almost full wood shed is "PRICELESS"

Attachments

• 100_5969.jpg
    100_5969.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 220
bogydave said:
With all the talk about trucks, I forgot to add in vehicle insurance, driver license, vehicle registration, wear & tear on the truck, trailer, tires, bearings etc.
Maybe "free" here is closer to $61/cord.
In the end I think I'm still ahead, warmer house than when I run the furnace, cheaper than the winter monthly gas bill
(figuring 1 cord/month) Saving about $150 to $200 every month (depending on the weather) on nat gas.
Didn't add in wood shed cost. But looking and admiring a almost full wood shed is "PRICELESS"

Absolutely priceless! Nice shed, make sure it's full this fall.

bogydave said:

Veggies and firewood, two of the finest shelters left.

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:

Veggies and firewood, two of the finest shelters left.
Fish & game too ;)

I get all mine brought in by a logging truck.
Saves so much time, and not wearing out my pickup truck either.
My last load cost me bottles of Crown royal, so about $80 for a logging truck load.
They did not charge me that, but i got them the bottles anyways to say thanks.

Mcbride said:
I get all mine brought in by a logging truck.
Saves so much time, and not wearing out my pickup truck either.
My last load cost me bottles of Crown royal, so about $80 for a logging truck load.
They did not charge me that, but i got them the bottles anyways to say thanks.

Have been looking into that way. Found a 10 cord log load for $800.
A few bottles of CR & I'd add 2 cases of beer for a deal like you got.
Sweet deal for sure!

A good friend owns a logging company, so he hauls all the wood i want to my place for free.
And yes i do know i am blessed by him for being so kind.

ps.a 10 cord load is really small, is it a small truck, or does your area have strict regs on axle weights?
Here a load is a lot bigger than that, but my friends trucks can legally carry about 87,000 pounds of payload.

Not much logging in this area of AK.
Lot of the state is locked up by "Federal rules"
They want us to be a National Park & raise mosquitoes, :lol:

Mine's about 210 miles round trip, the slowest part is the 30 miles RT on forest service roads. For a load of pine - but I usually average a cord a trip in my truck. When I had my trailer I could get a lot more, but sold it and haven't built/bought another. Cost of the wood is $10/cord (Forest Service) or $5/cord (BLM). I also found a source for some 30' long logs, all stacked and about 2 years dry; for pine out here that means a lot of it's ready to burn. Once the road opens I need to haul a gooseneck up and buck the logs to 8', load about 5 cords and call it a good day at $100 in fuel and $25 for the wood. Until then it's about $80/cord but my time in the woods is worth more to me than the fuel so I call it a wash.

My wood is 10 miles away. 20 miles round trip. My truck hauls 1/4 cord at a time, so 80 miles per cord. I get 17mpg hauling wood. 4.7 gallons of fuel in the truck, I'd imagine a cord of wood will take about 1/3 gallon in the saw. So call it 5 gallons of fuel. At $3.58/gallon that's $17.90, call it $18. Add $3 to cover bar and chain oil and 2 stroke mix and that makes it makes it $21/cord. I should include the price of the saws I use to. $200 for one and $350 for the other. Both should be good for 10 years minimum at 5 cords/year. So that adds $11 per cord. This brings my total cost to $32 per cord, not including time or wear and tear on my truck.

So, add in maybe $10 per cord for wear on the truck and that gets me to $42/cord.

Then add in my time (which I wouldn't count since I generally have fun doing it, but let's add it in anyway).

I get $15/hr at my day job. I'm not totally sure on the time, but I'd hazard a guess of 2 hours for cutting, 1.5 hours for hauling and 3.5 hours for splitting (I split by hand). So 7 hours for each cord. At $15/hr that would add in $105 per cord. That would bring it to $147 per cord if I "paid myself" for my time.

So after all that rambling, since I don't count my time in there, I would say that my "free wood" costs me $42/cord.

**edit**
If I do the math as the OP did, just for fuel and oil I would be at only $21 per cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.