Cost of ICF homes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I having been looking into ICF homes and found a place out of Texas that says it costs about $4 more per sqaure foot than a stick built. I find this hard to believe. Has anyone has experience with ICF homes or can give an estimate of cost?

I have checked into ICF construction. An accurate comparison would have to take into consideration the insulation value. Conventional poured concrete needs foam board to achieve any insulation qualities.
ICF's lend themselves to DIY construction versus building or renting forms. They still need adequate bracing for the pour or should I say pump. Concrete needs to be pumped and vibrated for proper strength, unless only pouring 4' stem walls.
Purchase your forms local and you can rent the bracing from the supplier. Most ICF companies offer a design service for best use of their product.

You will probably get some more response if you ask the moderator to move your question to the DIY or Green room forum.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.