Cost of OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Pencil

Oct 30, 2008
Tipp City, Ohio
Have been thinking of installing OAK on my Harman Insert so I called my dealer and asked for his opinion and costs involved. He was not sold on its viability on all homes. "Each home is different" he said and that it would take years to recoup the cost. Cost for parts alone for my stove will run $247 plus tax. Dealer said I could save the cost of a few bags each year by installing the OAK but would depend on many factors. That price I can buy another 1 - 1/4 tons of pellets. Wife also said she does not like the idea of another "dryer vent" sticking out of the house but I like the idea of my stove being more efficient. Thoughts?

Bantam...I would do it! All the feedback from the forum points towards putting in a OAK. The quote you received is outragious! The OAK for the insert is about $90-$100 MSRP. You'll need a few more items but it won't cost more then $10 in addition to the OAK from Harman. It's easy to do and self explanatory. It gets complicated when you're trying to figure out if your going to make the run up the chimney or out the back of the fireplace. If you have a old ash clean out in the firplace your set!

Bantam said:
Have been thinking of installing OAK on my Harman Insert so I called my dealer and asked for his opinion and costs involved. He was not sold on its viability on all homes. "Each home is different" he said and that it would take years to recoup the cost. Cost for parts alone for my stove will run $247 plus tax. Dealer said I could save the cost of a few bags each year by installing the OAK but would depend on many factors. That price I can buy another 1 - 1/4 tons of pellets. Wife also said she does not like the idea of another "dryer vent" sticking out of the house but I like the idea of my stove being more efficient. Thoughts?

Holy Fort Knox Batman, is that thing gold plated? The OAK for my Englander is around $60 or less.

It is time to engage your creative talents and make your own. For my Jamestown I used some PVC with screening connected to Carburetor Pre-Heater hose for my OAK. Cheaper than OAK and the black pre-heater hose matched better.

Do it right and the wife may never see or know what it is.

My OAK is 35 ft (long run to fresh air) of 4" flexible aluminum . Cost was under $30 (Home depot)
3" should work for most normal installs.

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
Gio said:
My OAK is 35 ft (long run to fresh air) of 4" flexible aluminum . Cost was under $30 (Home depot)
3" should work for most normal installs.
did u engineer the oversize to compensate for the length of the run? or just guess' does it get any condensation on it?

Since I`m an electrician and not an engineer I figured it sensible to oversize it . It sure can`t hurt. And being 4" is a standard vent size product it was a no brainer .
I can hear the air rush in (suction) when I put my ear to the input end. That tells me without an OAK there would be a hell of a draft of cold air infiltrating somewhere.

I was quoted $122 for the OAK from the stove to the frame that stove slides into. The vent to outside was $79 and the rest for pipe witch I need to go from the frame to wall of 18 inch brick then outside. I thought it was on the high side that is why I wondered if it was worth the cost.

Same dealer is selling pellets for $310 and 30 miles away. Where as I can get them for $199 and only 6 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.