Cost of pellets over propane = 30% more this year!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macman said:
amick780 said:
.....Also if anyone was been watching Crude...it is on its way up with no sign of stopping........

And for no apparent good reason. The oil inventory in the US is overflowing with crude, with tankers just sitting offshore with millions more barrels. No hurricanes to disrupt refineries or oil platforms in the gulf, and no real unrest anywhere in the middle east, africa, or south america (well, nothing more than usual).

Hmmm...... >:-(

Check your 401K or other investments. This is just speculation. The US Dollar is in the tank again (almost $1.50 for a Euro). When the dollar is down people throw money at oil. Especially if the pols. paint rosy pictures about the recession ending and such.

I called my propane supplier yesterday. The current price is $2.05/gal. Not bad. I may adjust me furnace usage a bit, but not likely too much since I have invested in 5 tons of pellets. Even if the cost/BTU isn't all that different, the pellets are bought and paid for. There's little sense in buy more propane too.

TboneMan said:
macman said:
amick780 said:
.....Also if anyone was been watching Crude...it is on its way up with no sign of stopping........

And for no apparent good reason. The oil inventory in the US is overflowing with crude, with tankers just sitting offshore with millions more barrels. No hurricanes to disrupt refineries or oil platforms in the gulf, and no real unrest anywhere in the middle east, africa, or south america (well, nothing more than usual).

Hmmm...... >:-(

Check your 401K or other investments. This is just speculation. The US Dollar is in the tank again (almost $1.50 for a Euro). When the dollar is down people throw money at oil. Especially if the pols. paint rosy pictures about the recession ending and such.

I called my propane supplier yesterday. The current price is $2.05/gal. Not bad. I may adjust me furnace usage a bit, but not likely too much since I have invested in 5 tons of pellets. Even if the cost/BTU isn't all that different, the pellets are bought and paid for. There's little sense in buy more propane too.

Correct...oil speculation is the #1 factor that drives price, and the pellets are paid for and ready to go. Feels good to have a little independence from fossil fuels as well.

dac122 said:
......I don't like this calculator as it is assuming certain efficiencies. Pick a calculator that allows you to input your efficiencies or at least take a wag.

That's why I posted the one from the PFI....you can adjust the efficiency % to whatever your units run. For example, I change the oil % to 82%...that's the latest figure from when I had the burner cleaned/tuned-up.

amick780 said:
the pellets are paid for and ready to go. Feels good to have a little independence from fossil fuels as well.
did i mention i have 500 gal. of used vegi oil that fuels my diesel truck? That along with a couple tons of pellets, now thats independace, you couldn't slap this grin off my face.

Jakethepup said:
......But I sure do like the heat from the pellet insert it just feels warmer. But for saving money I don't think at anytime you will save much at all burning pellets, unless they become a lot cheaper. But I do enjoy watching the fire burn so that is worth something.

Just my 2 cents worth: I think pellet stoves are kind of like solar power, you invest a lot at first and it will take years to break even. But it sure does make you feel a little more independent and it does give you more choices where to put you hard earned money.

My sentiments exactly. Over time, pellets make sense for me. I bought a stove a year ago and I'd do it again, but there isn't any free lunch.

macman said:
dac122 said:
......I don't like this calculator as it is assuming certain efficiencies. Pick a calculator that allows you to input your efficiencies or at least take a wag.

That's why I posted the one from the PFI....you can adjust the efficiency % to whatever your units run. For example, I change the oil % to 82%...that's the latest figure from when I had the burner cleaned/tuned-up.

yeah, but that still only accounts for the efficiency of the burner; it does not account for the loss between there and the living space, which can be large.

I came across another calculator that did allow you to input not just the fuels, but the method of transfer to the living space. i.e. furnace, boiler, and then even more information about the type of water pipes and air ducts. Forced hot air can be as low as 50%, between the amount of energy in the fuel to the amount of heat energy that gets dumped into the room.
with a stove, (or any "zone heater), thats always 100%. That's why I can heat my house with 3 tons of pellets, or 600 gallons of oil...when the straight btu calculator says it should take 4.5 tons of pellets.

Good point, never really thought about how much heat I waste in the duct work for my LP forced air...got to be quite a bit, when you think about the temp of the air coming out of the vents. Which is not that hot. I can't hold my hand in front of the pellet stove convection blower....it's too hot!

amick780 said:
Good point, never really thought about how much heat I waste in the duct work for my LP forced air...got to be quite a bit, when you think about the temp of the air coming out of the vents. Which is not that hot. I can't hold my hand in front of the pellet stove convection blower....it's too hot!

That is a good point...desicions...

well i went ahead and got one ton of the Tiddy timbers pellet at lows for 268 with tax.
I test burned half a bag and they burn fine. I will use more propane this year and less pellets since the cost of the tow has swapped places.

Clay H said:
amick780 said:

That is a good point...desicions...

true but i believe one calc has gas (for ex) at .089 a therm for me right now its actually .070 a therm and gas accordingly was already 25 bucks a month cheaper... so there are more factors to play than whats shown.. these are just a general idea..... i will get pellets at 250 or less this year... but will only get 2 tons as i will put oil in the tank (at least 100 gl) and will mostly burn wood.. i try to keep my heating at 1000 bucks for the winter (or less) but i am heating over 3000sq 450-500 on pellets.. 200 for oil 250 (maybe on nat gas) and the rest is wood ( i usually spend about 300 every other buying wood for 2 years)

propane is about 2.50 and oil about 2.20 here in maine at the moment, you guys have it made!

Lazy Flame said:
no pane said:
I just paid $1.08 cod and I own my tank.

You should have ur "location" under ur avatar modified to where pellets and Lp are cheap.

Am jealous, here it's @ a couple bucks a gal.
not quite ready to change it yet, a year ago lp was $2.30. my memory ain't that short. :lol:

It seems like every year we have a few people posting from Candy Land about their amazingly low fuel prices. I sincerely applaud your fortune but urge you to treat this as a temporary situation unless you've worked out a long term deal with the Sugarplum Fairy. In New Hampshire, LP prices are well over $2 / gal.

http://www.nh.gov/oep/programs/energy/fuelprice/details2.php?pid=159

vgrund said:
It seems like every year we have a few people posting from Candy Land about their amazingly low fuel prices. I sincerely applaud your fortune but urge you to treat this as a temporary situation unless you've worked out a long term deal with the Sugarplum Fairy. In New Hampshire, LP prices are well over $2 / gal.

http://www.nh.gov/oep/programs/energy/fuelprice/dails2.php?pid=159
your doragatory slant sounds like your jealous. and i don't like it.

Don't get all pony tail sensitive on me. That was meant to be funny with a serious message... I'm simply saying, look towards the long term when considering costs.

vgrund said:

http://www.nh.gov/oep/programs/energy/fuelprice/details2.php?pid=159

If you read my post it states that a year ago I was paying $2.30. Also stated my memory isn't that short incenuating I expect it to go back up, guess I should have explained. Are midwest folks not welcome here?

So, you slipped into Candy Land (wrt to pricing)... That's the point. Enjoy it while it lasts! I could use a trip there myself next season. If my humor fell short, forgive me. Don't worry, be happy.

I know it will go back up, it doesn't take a genious to figure that but the here and now is what I have to look at. Pellets are 300/ton and propane is a buck 30. And I'm looking at purchasing one or the other NOW to heat with this winter, not next winter.
So here in candy land (Oklahoma) I'm asking for advise, not smart azz comments.

Sir, with the most profound seriousness I can muster with my current nasty head cold, 'll state that LP is clearly less expensive for you right now, at this moment, on a delivered BTU basis. Have a nice day.

Clay, on a btu/cost basis the math looks like you are better off with LP, and at the end of the day that might be true. I am not sure about the efficiency rating of your furnace...force air or hot water system (makes a difference). Forced air in doing some more research looses a lot of heat in the duct work, so if you take in account the efficiency rating and the heat loss (I am assuming you have forced air) you might come out even between the two. Again this all depends on so many variables....outside temp, your inside set temp, system, insulation ect ect...you get the point. I think only you will really know at the end of this year what you spent on LP vs. Pellets. I would be interested to find out thought, as I use propane myself. Its hard for a calculator to reall tell us what are real heating costs are.

There are intangible benefits to heating with pellets that are worth noting. To my family it feels warmer than central heating at the same thermostat temperatures. Of course that is because it IS warmer, next to the stove, and also because it blows heated air for very long, sustained periods versus the central furnace. That could translate to savings if this perception allows one to lower the 'stat.

vgrund said:
Sir, with the most profound seriousness I can muster with my current nasty head cold, 'll state that LP is clearly less expensive for you right now, at this moment, on a delivered BTU basis. Have a nice day.
Sorry u have a headcold.
No it is not clear... A gal of propane versus a 40 lb bag of fuel. How many gal. Of gas does it take to equal a bag of wood? That's theunclear issue. From all the helpfully feedback I have gotten here, I thing I will use both fuels as i can't leave the st. Croix idle... I just can't but I can let it rest when I leave for work and set the furnace down to 60 durring the day and fire the stove back up at 5:00 when I get home. So that's what I will do I think untill there is a price change.

I would think that is the best option...

Status
Not open for further replies.