Cost of pellets vs oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you're definitely not in the tropics. but still.

what's your home's sq. footage and layout?

And how many of us keep the same bone chilling temps burning pellets that we did with dino juice?
That's part of my problem in figuring my savings. I heat more of my house and to a temp 9° warmer(64° to 73°) . way more comfortable and wife is happy too. For me this is how I figure it....for every ton I burn of pellets, its 125 gallons of oil I didn't burn.

Slls, I don't agree (respectfully)
The saving using top rated pellets is not much.

you're definitely not in the tropics. but still.

what's your home's sq. footage and layout?

That amount was from the fuel calculator on this web site. My house is 1600 square foot on slab, new windows and doors this summer.

I went through 5 tons last heating season but was one of the longest winters. Weatherman just confirmed yesterday one of the shortest times between snowfalls. Only 4 months between.

That amount was from the fuel calculator on this web site. My house is 1600 square foot on slab, new windows and doors this summer.
I will burn half of that in a similar climate with slightly larger square footage burning October to May, never burned a full 4 tons keeping house 72+ all the time. Something is wrong with your calculations.

OK, I just ran the hearth fuel calculator, at 200 a ton for pellets it said it would cost 1570 dollars a year to heat an average house. that is almost 8 tons a year. I asked my dealer before purchasing the stove how many ton the average house in our area uses per season just heating with pellets and he replied 5. That being said I have five bags left of my first ton. Hope to have the wood stove in by the end of the month. eight ton is way more than what I figured.

6 months is 180 days ...50 bags to a ton..
3.6 tons covers 180 days at 1 bag perday...near the minimum...
8 tons you would have to burn 3 a day for most of the full 6 months...and shoulder months certianly do not take 3 bags.

Reactions: St_Earl
I will burn half of that in a similar climate with slightly larger square footage burning October to May, never burned a full 4 tons keeping house 72+ all the time. Something is wrong with your calculations.
they get a good bit colder than us in MN. but i agree.

circulating the heat from your stoves will be key.
but having both wood and pellet stoves will serve you well.

i use fans to move cold air toward the stove low and warm air to the back bedroom up high.

depending on how you place your stoves, you might not have as much need to do so.

6 months is 180 days ...50 bags to a ton..
3.6 tons covers 180 days at 1 bag perday...near the minimum...
8 tons you would have to burn 3 a day for most of the full 6 months...and shoulder months certianly do not take 3 bags.

yep. we burned for 8 months here last year. but it wasn't 24/7 for all of that.

OK, I just ran the hearth fuel calculator, at 200 a ton for pellets it said it would cost 1570 dollars a year to heat an average house. that is almost 8 tons a year. I asked my dealer before purchasing the stove how many ton the average house in our area uses per season just heating with pellets and he replied 5. That being said I have five bags left of my first ton. Hope to have the wood stove in by the end of the month. eight ton is way more than what I figured.

Not buying that any house would burn 8 ton. Not unless it was insanely large. I don't live in a small house. It's about 3200 square feet, and I don't even burn 5 ton a year.

We have 5 years of use with very different winters to validate, but I can see that you just installed your stove in September. You should plenty left over for next winter's stash if you have already purchased 8 tons.

Not buying that any house would burn 8 ton. Not unless it was insanely large. I don't live in a small house. It's about 3200 square feet, and I don't even burn 5 ton a year.
well you kinda have to buy it. I started last year in December and burned over 7 tons. I put 8 tons in basement and one ton in garage and bet I'll need more. and I don't live in a "big" house...just saying...

winter closeup 007.JPG

I think you guys are missing the point of my post. I am pointing out a potential flaw in the calculator, unless I missed something on it.

Bioburner, how much have you gone through this season so far? I have five bags left for my first ton. Started burning the same day my stove was installed.

What about everyone else, how much have you burned so far this season? Maybe I should make this its own thread?

i think there are couple threads out there already on that :)
are you running an outside air kit?

45 bags since 9/20. that's a pretty good clip for "shoulder" season.

i've burned maybe close to 25 so far.
it hasn't really gotten very cold yet.

i think there are couple threads out there already on that :)
are you running an outside air kit?

45 bags since 9/20. that's a pretty good clip.

Must have missed those threads, I did start a new one, do you know if I can delete it?

Yes I am running an oak.

eh. i wouldn't sweat it. those threads can be fun. and they come along often :)

i've burned maybe close to 25 so far.
it hasn't really gotten very cold yet.

Does this look accurate?

Given :

1 bag of pellets = 2.5 gals of oil
Avg bag costs 4.68 per bag
Current price of oil = 3.38 gal
Size of tank = 275

The tank filled represents 110 bags of pellets (275 / 2.5)

110 bags * 4.68 per bag = $514.18 per "tank" of pellets.

1 tank oil is $929.50 ($3.38 * 275 gallons)

Savings - $415.32 ($929.50 - $514.18)

I know this doesn't account for efficency - meaning how fast the tank of oil goes before the 110 bags of pellets. I do know that on cold days, I can easily burn 2 bags a day keeping the house (1,200 sqft) at 70 deg 24/7. I haven't tested using just oil at 70 deg though ;)

I'm getting pellets at 3.90 a bag..
fuel oil at 3.45 ,,,
Last year's oil usage =350 - 375 gallons.
cost me 1300...
This years pellets about 800 bucks.
Saturated Heat ...priceless

well you kinda have to buy it. I started last year in December and burned over 7 tons. I put 8 tons in basement and one ton in garage and bet I'll need more. and I don't live in a "big" house...just saying...

I think folks using boilers or a furnace actually burn more because they are actually heating their entire house. I dont know how many posts I read about heating such and such size house with X pellets. And a week later they mention what type of space heater they use on the far side of their house.

Reactions: iceguy4 and St_Earl
I would hope so. but that is what it says, maybe I missed something. I just says for an "average" home, not sure how they came up with "average"

I wouldn't rely on a average number. Figure your sq feet, how much insulation you have, and talk to people around you asking them how much they burn. Then figure your stove's capability. If it is said to be a 40,000 btu stove that means the max amount of heat it will produce. Now figure out how much pellets it will consume.
I start heating in Oct and quit in May. Those shoulder months don't use very much but when its cold I can use 2 bags a day or a little more with a 50,000 btu stove. I run with a thermostat set on 70. Anyway it averages a ton a month so 7 tons for the windy area of Southwestern Minn. 7 X 200= 1400.00 for the season. I could save more by mixing corn with the pellets.
When it gets below -20 I will run another stove in the basement but it only gets used in extreme conditions-20 and wind- Other wise one stove and no other heat.

IF you think oil is cheaper, you're wrong. Period.

at current pellet prices, oil needs to drop to 2.89 /gal to break even.

oil would have to do a hell of a lot more than break even for me to even consider giving up the constant heat i get with pellets.

i really don't feel like paying to alternately be cold several times a day.

I burned almost 7 tons last year too. I have ~8 this year ready to go. Total space maybe about 3400 sq ft if you include the basement (which is being heated). All depends on the layout of your house and what not. Believe it though, the stash in the basement doesn't lie!

Even so. $1500 for pellets this year (I got 2 tons cheap from a co-worker) is WAY below what oil would cost to stay comfortable all winter.

When I ran all the numbers for prices in my area last year I also came up with a 40% savings ratio, so I think that is pretty accurate. Maintenance and delivery costs pretty much wash. It's expensive to have an oil burner cleaned in my area. The only difference is the time you put into keeping the pellet stove clean and running.

Reactions: St_Earl
Status
Not open for further replies.