Cost of Picking up Your Own Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone used a plastic kids slide. I am going to make a slide to go through a basement casement window.

I pay for delivery into the garage. 6 tons is a lot to get by myself. This year it was $122.

It's 38 miles each way to get to the pellet house. So for the money they drive down w/ the 6 tons, take them off a ton at a time and move them into the garage on a powered pallet jack.

That's cheaper than just about any other option, unless you have a pallet jack and a vehicle that can easily move a 1 ton pallet of pellets on and off easily and in bulk.

Do you let them just drop to the floor? I thought about it but assumed without trying that i'd just have a bag of crumbs.
I have a similar setup, driveway right by the window. The crap piled below the is another matter.
Do you let them just drop to the floor? I thought about it but assumed without trying that i'd just have a bag of crumbs.
I have a similar setup, driveway right by the window. The crap piled below the is another matter.

heck no...
1 person in the truck hands down to 1 person on the ground who put;s the bags thru the [removed] window to me inside and I stack on pallets or Cinderblocks.
The Basement has 4 removeavble windows and the Bottom of the windows are 5 feet from the basement floor.
you can see this in the picture below from around March I think..
[window we go thru is actually on the opposite side.. Left of pellet stash.couple steps walk..
Takes about 10 minutes to un-load/stack 1 ton..

Attachments

• IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I only have to store 3 tons but by the end of the year I'll have the perfect system to unload into my workshop. I have a 9000 lb car hoist in the shop and I have a lift bar made for it. I can back under the bar and put a couple of slings under the pallet and onto the lift bar. Press the button and the pallet raises up. Pull the truck out and drop onto a wheeled pallet made from Harbor Freight wheels. Push it into the corner and I'm done. 5 minutes tops. I don't have the wheeled pallets yet so I'm not totally up to speed on this. I have 2 of my 3 tons in the shop already and after unloading them by hand by myself I looked at the hoist laughed and thought dumb s**t. Next ton will come off with no effort I can guarantee .
Ron

Well better after the 2nd ton than after the 3rd !!

h'mm extra pallets outfitted with wheels. I had not heard about that idea before. That idea has some potential especially if you want to move them around the garage after delivery.

i pick up all my pellets 1 ton at a time . pellet supplier about 15 miles away. the bonus is that its a great workout unloading them.

heck no...
1 person in the truck hands down to 1 person on the ground who put;s the bags thru the [removed] window to me inside and I stack on pallets ......

Left out the the cost of the beer to unload the pellets. Tow helpers is either 2 or 4 beers. Your going to have to keep up so I figure 6 beers total. 6 beers means $10 for the help to unload the pellets. A few burgers and dogs on the grill could be another $5. Oh the other hand good company with friends priceless. ;)

Reactions: Boomer Sailor
Left out the the cost of the beer to unload the pellets. Tow helpers is either 2 or 4 beers. Your going to have to keep up so I figure 6 beers total. 6 beers means $10 for the help to unload the pellets. A few burgers and dogs on the grill could be another $5. Oh the other hand good company with friends priceless. ;)
Actually cost me a a few shots of Peach Brandy and couple of Corona's..

1-jpg.73016

this is what i use ...works slick set the bottom on a table send my boy down in the cellar to stack..lol

I was thinking of putting in a chairlift on the basement stairs. It could bring the pellets down and me back up...;lol

Someone used a plastic kids slide. I am going to make a slide to go through a basement casement window.
I use a plastic kids slide. I have a table in the cellar. I put the top of the slide out the casement window and I set the bottom of the slide on the side of the table. Picking the bags up off the table is much easier than picking them off the floor. The most difficult part of the whole process is outside, bending down to put them on the slide.

I always picked mine up but Lowes and TSC is about 3 miles. I would consider paying for delivery though. There are other ways to recoup delivery costs that are far easier and less labor. Heck I could cut out coupons for the year and save a lot more money then what went into delivering pellets my back would thank me for it. But I dont.

I use a plastic kids slide. I have a table in the cellar. I put the top of the slide out the casement window and I set the bottom of the slide on the side of the table. Picking the bags up off the table is much easier than picking them off the floor. The most difficult part of the whole process is outside, bending down to put them on the slide.

Now that's smart! I was psyching myself up for hand-carrying 7 tons down stairs to the cellar. Your method sounds better.

like it

If you had an old coal chute room in the basement you could break open all the pellet bags and send them down the slide into the room designed to hold all the coal. I remember when I was a kid I could always tell when a neighbor got their coal delivery for the winter. It would make a racket with all that coal sliding down the slide into the basement.

m2821.jpg

If you had an old coal chute room in the basement you could break open all the pellet bags and send them down the slide into the room designed to hold all the coal. I remember when I was a kid I could always tell when a neighbor got their coal delivery for the winter. It would make a racket with all that coal sliding down the slide into the basement.

Some places do offer bulk delivery of pellets... right into a bin in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.