Cost of stainless double wall chimney and install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lungdoc

Nov 20, 2007
Muskoka, ON
Hi. Relative newby to all of this, so apologies if dumb questions. I did do some searching but didn't find an answer. We're building a home in Muskoka and are having a mid-efficient wood fireplace (BIS Secure HE43) in the main room, with outside wood frame (with cultured stone veneer) chimney chase. Details on that and great advice here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11135/ .

Had hoped to eventually have a woodstove in the main room of the walkout level - i.e. below the fireplace and run two flues in the same chase. Obviously need to put in the chimney for that now. Somewhat shocked by the price quote of 32' of Excel or similar double walled insulated stainless chimney system - installed for cdn 4785.00.

Is this a fair price and do I have other options?? I thought of direct vent propane fireplace but seems a bit silly since we have limitless quality firewood; thought about a fake electric model (but fake of course...). We won't be living there, using weekends etc. so not a primary heat source (though who knows for future). House is well insulated with ICF in the walkout basement area where this will go.

Appreciate any advice before I commit one way or the other on this, need to know in the next few days as fireplace coming next week.

Cheers

Mark

I don't know about Excel, but DuraTech will run about $31 US per foot for double wall stainless (before shipping). Big box store are probably cheaper for the class A they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.