Cost of Wood Pellets VS. LP Gas and Oil at current prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Is Wood Pellet Heat a clear winner in cost as shown by this calculator for prices in my area?
http://www.greenfret.com/fuels.html

Pellets
$17.30 / MBTU

Oil
$22.08 / MBTU

LP GAS
$34.43 / MBTU

Wood Pellet heat is warm and cozy!

Attachments

• FuelCostCalc11-09-2010.jpg
    FuelCostCalc11-09-2010.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,010
I say yes
I could not afford to heat my house to 72degree with propane we were always cold @ 66 - 68 degree. Our pellet stove keeps the house at 72 degrees and I used 470 gallons less propane. @2.79 a gallon last year saved $1311.00. Tonight its 30 degrees out side the house is 73 degrees love the stove. Last winter burned 3 tons very long winter $200 ton x 3 tons cost $600.00 for savings of roughly $700.00 plus higher house temps.

Yes. While my propane and pellet prices are a little lower, those are similar numbers to what I am seeing here.

Only other comment I can make is I think your pellet efficiency is a little optimistic, but makes little difference against propane and oil prices.

One question is how are the CO2, NOx and SO2 the same between wood and pellets when pellet stoves are generally more efficient?

Even though fossil fuels may be equal at the moment. I still prefer the pellets, I can heat the house much warmer with the pellets. Also, other considerations are environmental as well as where the money goes for the fuel. Wood pellets from NH and Maine as well as Quebec are much better places to spend my $$$ than to you know who!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.