Cost per Cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Johnson said:
I believe the best current design for a dedicated OWB would be the Central Boiler E Classic. I consider it an untested design, as they've only been out in the field for a few months, but the design looks like a solid gasifier, even though they don't want to call it that. And, I think you're in the $10,000 range for the boiler alone, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe more. You can get a good indoor gasifier for about half that much.

There you go again: OFF TOPIC!! :cheese: Couldn't resist, could you??

Out of curiosity, why are you worried? Is this hobby keeping you from something more important? Just accept the fact that the more you cut, the more you save!

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Chris

Redox said:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

That's what I always tell the big, ugly, gnarley chunks if they give me any grief.

Outdoorsman said:
Eric Johnson said:
I believe the best current design for a dedicated OWB would be the Central Boiler E Classic. I consider it an untested design, as they've only been out in the field for a few months, but the design looks like a solid gasifier, even though they don't want to call it that. And, I think you're in the $10,000 range for the boiler alone, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe more. You can get a good indoor gasifier for about half that much.

Thanks for that info. I wish I could go with a indoor model, but no room for such in my smaller home. I've a friend who has a Central Boiler Classic and it seems to burn well for him.

I read here about how such units are smoke monsters, but his isn't at all that way. Perhaps due to his use of well seasoned hardwoods for fuel, it smokes just a bit on startup & almost none after the first couple moments.

For more details the topic should move to the boiler room, but there is no rule saying the indoor gasifiers have to be put in your house. There have been lots of folks that have put them in outdoor sheds ranging from the cheapo steel garden sheds from Home Despot, to steel shipping containers, to building shops, etc. for them.... Putting an indoor gasifier in a steel shed would probably only add about a grand to the cost, so it would likely be cheaper than the Central OWB unit...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.