Cost to install lock top flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast29

Oct 7, 2011
Eastern, Pa
I recently had someone out to clean my chimney and he talked me into purchasing a lock top flue. After I (naively) agreed to a price of $395 for parts and $200 for installation, Joe set off to work. When it took him just about an hour to do the full job, including chemical treatment for creosote for an extra charge of $350, I began to get a little suspicious. I got really suspicious when he added another previously unmentioned $100 for repair of flashing on the roof/chimney that he "just took care of". I refused the $100 charge as I did not approve it.

My question is, did I get taken for a fool on this deal? I looked up the cost of the parts he used on line and found I could purchase the exact same unit for about $180. I'm pretty handy and the installation looks really simple. I feel as though he played up the safety concerns and that is what sold me. Joe would have known I am handy as through our conversation he learned that I had just installed new windows, doors and hardwood floors throughout my home.

In the end I will have paid $945 for a thorough chimney cleaning and installation of a lock top flue. Good or not so good deal?

That seems high. 350ish I would think would have left him plenty of room to eat on that top sealer. The 350 for the creosote treatment was not fair either. I used to charge 80 per trip for that. It was 65 for the service call and 15 for the chemical. Sometimes it took a couple trips. That was four years ago so it's not like I,m giving you prices from 1965 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.