Costa Rica: Fossil Fuel Free for Electricity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Costa Rica is joining the small list of countries that are now fossil fuel free for electricity generation. Costa Rica joined this list for the first 75 days of 2015 and is on the path to 100%. http://www.cnet.com/news/costa-rica-hits-75-days-powered-entirely-by-renewable-energy/

I noticed this headline while checking the news before heading to the beach and surf to enjoy the sunrise in Playa Grande, Costa Rica, my winter retreat for the past 10 days. Unfortunately, not fossil fuel free to get here or to return home.

Costa Rica has abundant hydro (but also rain dependent), is expanding its geothermal, and also has wind and PV. With a GNP of $13,570 per person (2013) vs $53,750 per person for the US (2013), Costa Rica has made a national commitment very worthy of emulating. Pura Vida!

Kudos to Costa Rica.

How much electricity per capita do they use? It's much easier to make a switch like that without McMansions sucking up energy. I think average household use in the us is 900+kWh per month.

Easier in a warm climate without scads of McMansions yes, but still wonderful that they have accomplished this in an age of fossil fuel addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.