1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cottonwood bark, could you use it for.....?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Beetle-Kill, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    I had a whole bunch of cottonwood rounds stacked up, just finished splitting them today. These were from last year and under the bark, they were wet as heck. Seems the bark is a pretty good moisture barrier.
    I'm planting bulbs in a few weeks, could these chunks of bark be placed over the tops of the bulbs for the winter, maybe act as a weather barrier? I'm trying to think of something useful for them before I haul the pile to the dump. Thanks, JB

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Put 'em out in the sun for a few days. They'll become kindling.
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    cottonwood...perhaps the messiest of the trees. i had some cottonwood 2 years ago. burned nice and fast. problem was it made a mess dropping that bark so easily.

my vote is kindling
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Timing is a funny thing. Just found out the fire-ban has been lifted so I made some "modified" Swedish candles. Took some short rounds, wrapped them in the bark and filled the cavaties with splitter trash. I'll let 'em dry for a while, then burn them in the pit. Had to use narrow crown staples to stick the bark on the rounds, but they'er holding. The rest goes to the dump, I have enough kindling.
    thanks, JB
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Cottonwood bark is highly prized for wood carving. I'm not sure if the location of the species makes a difference or not. If it is thick and dark red in the middle, they are used to make these:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My dad carves houses similar to these and is always looking for a source. He mentioned that the bark around here is not the kind typically used.
    ScotO and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Yes, it will work.
  7. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    I use my bark/unusable scraps* for pothole fillers and the occasional road base (I have a dirt driveway).
    ScotO likes this.
  8. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    That's pretty neat!