Cottonwood tasting good???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnagain

Jun 22, 2012
LaGrange, GA
So after my recent pecan scrounge, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be too strong as the sole fuel for my smoker. Turns out it wont be a problem, but when reading the rest of this list one of the recommended woods is cottonwood "very mild in flavor"......YUCK.

Now to give them credit it does mention not to use green wood, but still no way I'm eating something that tastes anything like the way that stuff smells when burning. Below's the link for you all to read.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/cookingtips/a/aa051097_2.htm

David

Reactions: smokinj
Some here use cottonwood "drift" bark for smoking.
They collect the bark from the river or salt water shores, dry it & use it in the smoker.
Never tried it, but have ate some of the smoked salmon, it tasted good.

Aw David, give it a try. There truly is a huge difference in dry cottonwood vs. green. Dry it is not bad at all.

I'd try anything. But last week when I had a fire going one chilly night, I tossed on some of the cottonwood I had, that's nice and dry. Inside the house of course, didn't notice anything, but when I went outside, it had a weird smell of crayons. Best way I could describe it. I could imagine eating something smoked with it. :) But smoking causes chemical changes and reactions, so you never know.

I'm with you Eric....can't imagine using cottonwood for smoking, but maybe it's better than it sounds.

I burnt nothing but cottonwood 3/4 of the year last year (easy scrounge and quick to dry). Once I got some harder woods, I realized how stinky that cottonwood was. I have about a half cord for this season and will be mixing it with some ash/locust/maple.

I would not use it. got better choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.