Couch too close to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
My wife would like to re-arrange the furniture in the living room. She would like to move the couch to the wall adjacent to the insert. My manual says that the minimum clearance to combustibles (right and left of stove) is 13". I have to believe they meant 13" to drywall, not a couch or recliner. The front corner of the couch would be about 36" to the left of the stove. I have my firewood holder about 18" to the left of the stove door, and it doesnt really even get hot (warm to the touch). The couch would go along the wall with the TV. How much room would you realistically leave to be safe?

P.S.-- notice the "spirits" floating in front of the wood pile!

Attachments

• SDC11299a.jpg
    SDC11299a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,231
Not to be smart a$$, but have your clothes ever burst into flame while standing where your wife wants to put the couch? If not, I'd say you're golden. (Or, if I'm wrong, possibly golden brown and delicious)

I like cool to the touch. Furniture stuffing today is usually highly flammable which accounts, in part, to much hotter house fires. Better safe than....
Ed

G, pic might help.

I put my infamous vortex bucket to the left of the insert what I thought was a safe distance away. I now have curling vortex !

I think you guys guys are good, G !!

Let her "nest" :)

I think we'll be OK ,too. Just want some re-assurance, I guess. Oh, and "nesting" is Mrs. Woodfans' favorite past-time!

36 inches to the couch....you should be good. I don't really trust any clearance to combustibles until I have monitored it for a while. That is what I would do if I were you. If you can touch it and it is only warm, and stays that way, you are good.

Minimum clearances on mine is 36". My couch is at 48". See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,042
I'm usually not happy with the stated figures for clearances and tend to allow more. 3' for a couch to me might be a bit uncomfortable. Remember that you will be opening that firebox door and sometimes you get some sparking or some loose embers. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would err on the cautious side, and allow for that one day when you make a mistake, and the fire overheats when you are outside........ ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
I'm usually not happy with the stated figures for clearances and tend to allow more. 3' for a couch to me might be a bit uncomfortable. Remember that you will be opening that firebox door and sometimes you get some sparking or some loose embers. Better to be safe than sorry.

Agreed . . . not to mention that being that close to the fire will be mighty warm . . . sometimes being 6 or 7 feet away from the fire is too much for me and I end up moving to the far side of the room.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Agreed . . . not to mention that being that close to the fire will be mighty warm . . . sometimes being 6 or 7 feet away from the fire is too much for me and I end up moving to the far side of the room.

I also am a bit weary of the specs on clearances, but the couch will NOT be in front of the stove -- it will be to the SIDE of the stove. I layed down in the spot where I intend to place the couch, and being off to the side of the stove- as opposed to being directly in front of it - it was really not that hot.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My wife loves to rearrange furniture. We have come to a pattern where we move the couch and a recliner(that is "my" chair... probably the only "head of the house thing I have") before and after burning season. The recliner moves away from the fire at the start of the season - I get too hot being close to the fire while the ladies of the house prefer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.