1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cougar Quiet Series Ash Vac MU405

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by geek, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Looking into getting a vac for next season, I saw this Cougar M405 for around $205 total.

-anyone used this model
    -feedback on price paid
    -how this vac performs
    -maintenance required?

Lastly, how you empty the ash, is there a compartment that you can easy have access to and then dump the ashes into a bag or something?

thanks...:)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    My shop vac works great and a lot less money. I use a standard filter and do not have any ash blown into anyone's house I have used it inside. SAVE YOUR $$$$$. You worked hard for it.

Eric
  3. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    and what brand is that?.....don't see any vac on that website .......
  4. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    I think he's referring to any shop vac in general, not one that he sells. And he's right the shop vacs with a proper filter do a good job. I have a Cheetah and while it's louder than it should be I like it just fine.
  5. kinsmanstoves

Loc:
    I am sorry but I do not sell shop vac. I am saying the standard shop vac should work fine.

Eric
  6. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    I have a standard wet/dry vac, that wouldn't be a good idea, right?
  7. kinsmanstoves

Loc:
    Yes the standard shop vac with standard filter does work for me. I would test yours first by taking it outside and use the ashes from your ashpan. Start your vac and see how it works. Better yet have your Wife watch the vac as you do it. If she observes a black cloud come out of your vac you will need a new filter. Better to test it outside than having you frontroom filled with a cloud of ash. I am not trying to sell shop vacs but trying to save you money.

Eric
  8. requin

requin Member

Loc:
    Montague, MA
    watching this post w/ interest as I want to get a shop vac for the stove too. Glad to read this cuz I didn't even think of the filter idea. Would a wet/dry vac (as geek asked) be a bad idea? Can filters be gotten for those?
  9. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
  10. kinsmanstoves

Loc:
    All shop vac should have some type of filter on them. The filter is inside of the canister. It is not a bad idea to put a new one every so often. You can further help the vac by adding a nylon sock over the current filter, as long as you have good suction. They also sell a sleeve to go over the filter (save money, refer back on sentence).

This is the common sense part. Let the stove cool before using your shop vac. Hot embers=fire. Yes fire in the stove is good. Fire in the shop vac is bad.

Eric
  11. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    thanks for the link mralias, looks like a very good price, it also has a filter, will go to local HD and check them out.
  12. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    I second the Stinger vac, I have one and it works great.
  13. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    i have a loveless ash vac at home (base model) works just fine , i use a rigid shopvac at work cleaning out test stoves and dissecting returns which works equally as well. i stronly suggest that a sho vac used for this has a cartridge filter rather than the foam sleeve with paper "coffee filter" the ones with cart filters do not allow blowby , but the cheapies do. also on the filters when they clog , take em outside toss them around to knock off the ash (its biodegradable) and reuse they will last for many reuses and as stated really arent that expensive. that said i do love my ash vac as well, i really like the "shaker filter" which allows ash to be knocked off without opening the vac up to do so. either way is a good way to go though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.