1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

cough! Smoke cough!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by kwheat, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwheat

kwheat New Member

I tried to start a flash fire today in our Napoleon stove and had smoke billowing out everywhere. The wind is very high today 25-35mph and the temp outside is about 60 and the inside was 66. Just wanted to take the chill off real quick. Once it started smoking I had a hard time getting the smoke to draft out, in fact it never did, I brought in a big tub and pulled all the smoldering wood out. Did I have some sort of negative draft? What do I watch out for next time? cough, cough!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    If i understand from a previous thread, there wasnt enough differential temps to get a good draft. If the inside of the flue is almost the same temp as the outside you wont get lift.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
  4. zogboy

zogboy New Member

Loc:
    CNY
    I miss smoking ....33 years of Camels , it has been a year so far and smoke free. Just maybe the tuffest thing I ever did.

Oh we are talking wood smoke. ;)
  5. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Probably a negative draft. Very common if your stove is in the basement, exterior masonry chimney, etc.

I've had luck opening a window near to the stove (in my basement) for about 15 - 30 seconds, to reverse a draft (get it going up) just prior to starting a new fire. At that high of an outside temperature, it might be hard to get things going up, though. Unless you have a mighty good chimney. You might want to test with something that smells better than wood smoke to see if you've succeeded. Try some incense or a candle to see which way the (chimney) wind is blowing before lighting your kindling.

Smoke sucks when chimneys don't!
  6. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Does anyone know a good way to get rid of or neutralize that smoke smell? Occasionally I accidently let a puff out and even if I open a window immediately it seems to linger for a day or so.
  7. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Marcus, with proper draft you shoudnt have any smoke smell. I know that didnt answer you question, but i suspect a ozone generator would fix the smell.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.