Could a thicker baffle replace the wool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Assuming the Micore 300 will suffice as baffle replacement material, could it be layered up to form a thicker, more insulating and maybe stronger baffle, and replace the kaowool that is on top (Quadrafire stove)? I just saw a picture of another maker's stove that had a couple layers of baffle material, and that got me to thinking.

Micore is a great insulator for hearths, but that's a different environment than inside our stoves. Have you heard that it will survive at the top of a stove?

Matt

Well, I think I answered my own question with a search. The kaowool seals the baffle sides.

When I asked an engineer at a stove manufacturer why they put the insulating blanket on top of the baffle, he replied that it was to keep more heat inside the firebox.

This is what got me thinking. I think it's an England:
881364c84f495cf756c5491c3d6809115d5881de.jpg

velvetfoot said:
This is what got me thinking. I think it's an England:
That's not Micore, it's vermiculite (made by Skamol). Totally different animal. It's pretty good material but the firebox won't come up to operating temps as quickly as it will with the standard ceramic fiber board. Why not just replace it with the same?

The Kaowool on top of the board seals around the baffle edges and provides marginally more insulation.

I thinking more of the double thickness in the sample pic, rather than the material composition.
My goal was to come up with a cheap generic replacement for the rather expensive original material, which is weak as well.
I used the original baffle, which was replaced because it arrived cracked, as a shield when I was doing some experimental pipe sweating, and I wasn't terribly impressed for a material that's supposed to stand 2700*F temps, according to Quad.
Hey, I'm going to give the Micore a whirl. I can't see the downside, except for wasting 47 bucks and some time.

Well I can see one - Micore was not designed for direct exposure to flame. USG describes it as "Flame Resistant Mineral Fiber Core & Backer Board". Softening point 700C, melting point 1200C. You can watch it sag around the secondary tubes as your stove comes up to operating temps. Why not get something designed for higher temps? Kaowool M-Board will stand up better. I bought a 24x36x1 slab of that stuff for less than $50 a couple years ago. Enough to make four baffle boards for my X33. I doubt I'll ever need more than one.

not to side track the thread, my baffle is a metal plate with firebricks on top. I have been wondering if replacing the firebricks above the baffle with soap stone would be a benefit or not....

That would be completely in the wrong direction. You want less mass, not more.

I would not use Micore to replace the ceramic blanket. Someone in an earlier post was right. Micore 300 is great for hearth pads because it has a high R factor and is heat resistant. In fact, Micore is made of slag wool, the same material that some manufacturers use for insulated chimneys. Micore is basically slag wool in the form of a panel board. It will resisit temps up to 2100F, but is not designed as a fireproof material like a ceramic blanket is, C-Cast or vermiculite. Those materials are used in stove to keep internal firebox temperatures higher. The higher the temperatures, the more particles are burned. This is why some stoves with very low emissions are often "over insulated". This is what many manufacturers have to do to lower their emissions. It has nothing to do with safety. I would suggest that you get the proper, original insulation as a replacement so that you don't waste your money on a piece of Micore! The manufacturer should be able to help you source the right product quick and at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.