Could someone explain to me the difference between Simpson Dura/plus and Dura/ tech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After speaking to the Simpson people yesterday I believe the tech I talked too said dura/plus was a Home Depot exclusive. He also said the parts are not interchangable within the simpson line. I wanted to buy my chimney from Home depot as the cost is just $81 for a 3 foot section and the rain cap they carry is only $29. They do not have any other dura/plus parts at home depot and i was told they will not order additional parts.. So if I show up at a stove shop with a dura/plus chimney piece in hand looking to buy a flat ceiling support does that mean he will most likely not have that part? Or have I misunderstood and that only chimney parts are not interchanable and that the ceiling support of both lines of simpson pipe will fit the flat ceiling support? I don't need that much pipe only 2 lengths of 3 feet HT type A chimney, a ceiling support for this chimney a close clearance adator and a telescoping DVL pipe section 40-68".
Should I forget home depot and buy my few supplies from a stove shop? or is it cheaper to buy all this stuff on-line when one has to consider the freight cost. Or does one have better luck at Lowes and the selkirk line? I'm talking about them being a well stocked stove pipe and chimney pipe store, where one could usually find everything needed for a simple stove install.
Please enlighten me, I'm very confused about the whole pipe/chimney/supports thing
Thanks Joe

Read your PM, Dura Plus is triple wall, DuraTech is double-wall class A. You are fine with DuraTech and will find more fittings easily available for it. Selkirk Metalbestos is fine pipe too.

Simpson and Selkirk have excellent websites with detailed explanations about their pipe, installation instructions and accessories:
http://www.duravent.com/?page=1.php
http://www.selkirkcorp.com/metalbestos/

In my experience, no big box store is every heavily stocked in all fittings. Our shop used to carry every single fitting in quantity, and we knew how to use them...and spec them for others.

You can save money on the lengths, but chances are that you cannot mix there brands.......especially if it does not clearly say so. This is often done "on purpose".

I don't know the technical differences between the lines, but that does not matter anyway if the factory (and presumable the listing and manuals) do not allow intermixing.

A "middle ground" might be to buy your chimney from a plumbing and heating wholesaler/showroom/supply house. They often have standard discounts which are pretty good - and also may stock many less common fittings. In fact, our shop used to buy from a big wholesaler on "fill in" orders, when we didn't want to get a truckload from the manufacturer.

You can order it online at a decent price:

Ventingpipe.com

Chimneylinerdepot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.