Could this be a start of a wood shed? (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mskif

Nov 22, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
I know there are a lot creative members out there so I am looking for some ideas, that aren't too difficult or expensive. Could I use this as a base of a small woodshed? The former owner used it as a planter but we don't have a use for it.

It measures 5.5' x 16'. I could have two rows of 2' x 4' x 16' giving me an extra 2 cords of storage. I will keep about 5 cords along my driveway close to my house, but would like to make use of some of my back yard to get a couple years ahead.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 680
With a name like "organic" you don't want to use it to plant some veggies?

Sorry for being a smarta$$, I couldn't help myself. I'm not the handiest of the group, but it looks like it would do fine, and if you dug out some of the beds it would allow some airflow underneath your floor...

May as well, if you're not gonna be any better at pulling weeds than the previous gardener was. :)

I see vine, what looks like lily , grass and possibly a maple tree.

Rich composty dirt isn't the greatest base for a wood pile being rather spongy and all.
Tomatos are perty easy to grow.

Move the timbers, and start your shed, then grow veggies in the bed, after weeding, etc.

Win/win :coolsmile:

You just inspired me, I have 2 of those just sitting, unplanted. Woo Hoo ;-)

We have enough garden beds in our yard and we get our veggies by having a share with a local organic farmer. I think I am going to dig it out, fill it with gravel, plank the floor and try and build a roof. If it doesn't work out I'll just take out the rr ties. Just looking for some ideas.

I built my shed on a lot less sturdy looking base than you have. If your not going to use the bed to plant and feel the ground is firm and level, I don't know why you couldn't use it for a shed. Put some walls up and a roof and your ready to go.

Shipper

Hi organic...actually you might appreciate that site more as a raised garden bed. Maybe a lean-to coming off a side of the garage would work out better for you.

Edit to add...OK I see you don't need another raised bed. Anyway if it were me I wouldn't junk up the middle of my yard with a wood shed.

Those boards look like they are in good shape. I would do what you said if you have no use for the raised bed. I would fill with a bit of stone and then put some pallets on top. As for sides or roof - depends on if you need it. if you are using this to season this year and use the following year, I would not even put a roof on it - maybe just cover it once the snow flies...

Another idea. Take up the rr ties and move them. Now use them as a base....to stack your wood on. Leave your wood uncovered the first summer. Do not cover the wood until late fall or early winter then cover the top only.

This would allow for much better drying/seasoning of your wood than stacking it inside a woodshed. Leaving the top uncovered over the summer will allow for much better evaporation of the moisture that is in the wood. Don't worry about a little rain; wood is not a sponge so it won't soak it up.

I have no problems with a wood shed and they can be very nice, especially with keeping the snow away. However, putting green wood inside a wood shed means you need an extra year (usually) for the wood to season. You can hasten this along by allowing the woodshed to be very drafty, but then it might be an eyesore to you too. It all depends upon what you want. But for best seasoning, the wood needs wind and hopefully some sunshine.

Just personal opinion, but if you're going to go to a lot of work, why not park the wood pile at the edge of the yard instead of what appears to be roughly the middle? I guess I'm a big fan of a 'clear' lawn space with landscaping/wood pile along the edge. Probably due to all the yards I used to mow growing up...seems like every owner thought the lawn looked best with some object (tree, planter, bird bath, ornamental rock, etc) spaced about every 4 feet across the yard. The result was basically a checkerboard or lawn and ornaments that took 5x as long to mow as a nice open yard.

It doesn't look like you're anywhere close to that yet, but something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.