Could this Englander stove be used as an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you get the heat out of the fireplace opening? And you'd have to figure out how to install it without the base. I don't think you could just lay it on the hearth.

BTW I have the non-cat version of this stove, installed at BIL's house in December. The legs were sawn off previously, so I was able to squeeze the stove into his fireplace and attach the flue collar to the top once it was in place.

Woody Stover said:
How do you get the heat out of the fireplace opening? And you'd have to figure out how to install it without the base. I don't think you could just lay it on the hearth.

BTW I have the non-cat version of this stove, installed at BIL's house in December. The legs were sawn off previously, so I was able to squeeze the stove into his fireplace and attach the flue collar to the top once it was in place.

It has a built in blower.

I don't see why not, if this is a very tall and deep fireplace. The blower adds a bit to the backside which will bring the flue outlet forward. Are you thinking of rear exhausting it or at 33" high will it clear the lintel with a straight up exhaust? The side clearances are high (30"), so ideally this would be a masonry only fireplace with no mantel or side woodwork.

BeGreen said:
I don't see why not, if this is a very tall and deep fireplace. The blower adds a bit to the backside which will bring the flue outlet forward. Are you thinking of rear exhausting it or at 33" high will it clear the lintel with a straight up exhaust? The side clearances are high (30"), so ideally this would be a masonry only fireplace with no mantel or side woodwork.

I was thinking to remove the base.
As to the depth, doesn't it just stick out further into the room?
If I do this, major re-work (of something) is expected.

I'm not sure if you can do that with this stove without blocking something. It looks like you would need about 30" clear under the lintel for rear exit. Do you have that?

I think that Mike Holton had one of these stoves a while back. You might PM him for more info on your options.

Blocking something? Like an ashpan? I have 27". I figured if I remove the pedestal it would fit.

I was thinking more air controls or the air intake. I don't know if it has an ash port there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.