Could use some advice installing pellet stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejgeno

Oct 20, 2014
Hollis, NH
I spent about 20 minutes searching for a similar thread before posting this, but couldn't find one - sorry if this has already been answered. :)

I removed a rusted out 1980's pellet stove out of my basement and bought a new one to replace it. I also bought new pipes for it because I want everything replaced. I have a number of Simpson Dura-Vent Stainless Steel 3" pellet stove pipes - enough to go about 6 ft up the back of the stove and bend 90 degrees at the existing hole in my foundation. The exhaust sticking out the side of the house is in tact and I had a professional confirm that it's in good enough shape to use - I just need to connect the stove to it.

My problem is that the hole in the foundation has a 6" pipe in it and I bought this, but it's 7" diameter so it won't fit in the existing hole.

I think I instead need this. The one I removed (but have since disposed of) looked just like that. Does that look about right?

Figured I would seek the opinion of some stove experts before I waste more time on this... and then give up and be added to our chimney guys waiting list.

For reference, attached is a picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• picstitch.jpg
    picstitch.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 122
I figured it out. They used to have a wood stove hooked up here. So there was a 6" wood stove pipe going through the wall. I made an adapter to the stove by sliding a 6" x 12" black chimney pipe into the existing hole, with the lip of it sticking out into the room. Then I was able to connect to it via chimney adapter. I could've probably just vented it out like that but I want to reuse the exterior 3" vent and not have to buy a new one. The prior stove had a 3" pipe running all the way through it.

I trimmed about 3" off the outer layer of a 1 ft adjustable length pellet stove pipe and slipped it into the inside of the chimney adapter. Before I could slip it in there I had to use my dremel to grind away 3 or 4 rivets that were in the way. Once I confirmed it fit, I schmered it with high heat silicone then put it back in.

And there you have it. Now all I'll do is cut up one side of the wall thimble plate for the interior, just to give it a better appearance once I do the final hookup. I'll post one more update once the install is done.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.